Mcculloch splined rod bolts?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

torinocobra

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Where can I find a socket for the splined rod bolts? I tore apart an sp125c to rebuild for the gtg this weekend and now I'm SOL. :msp_scared:

Maybe paccity in Dallas or Mad Murdock in Yahmill might have one. I'm gonna be there on saturday with one of my 125c's as well as a supeer 797 and a 101b. I hope to see you there.

Those splined sockets can be found. Al Smith would be the guy to ask about that. I heard someone say one time that Sears has them. I have the L-shaped wrench I'd be happy to loan you...

Thanks for the info. Visited a few of my favorite shops today expecting to borrow one, but they didn't even have it. I'd be surprised if sears had it, but who knows. I read on here that snap-on had them as well, but probably just rumor. JJ, if you would bring it to the gtg it would be much appreciated. I only need to borrow it for about 45 minutes:msp_biggrin:. I'll bring my hot plate and borrow Bobs freezer. Looking forward to seeing you all there!

Thanks for the info. Visited a few of my favorite shops today expecting to borrow one, but they didn't even have it. I'd be surprised if sears had it, but who knows. I read on here that snap-on had them as well, but probably just rumor. JJ, if you would bring it to the gtg it would be much appreciated. I only need to borrow it for about 45 minutes:msp_biggrin:. I'll bring my hot plate and borrow Bobs freezer. Looking forward to seeing you all there!

I think I remember someone on here saying that a 12 point 1/4" socket will work. I am not sure. Maybe someone will correct or confirm this. Tom

I just went and checked. 7/32 and 15/64 12 point too small. 1/4" 12 point too big. External torx e8 too small but close. With some modification it may work. E10 is too big, but I looked online and there is an e9, so I am going to try to find that size next.

JJ, was there anything you wanted to import to the GTG?

Not really. Maybe some Nair for Aaron's bikini lines...

I'm not making it to the GTG, too much stuff to do and I'm teaching fire classes all that week. I'd be happy to send this to you though.

2 hours is a long drive for something that may not work. But hey you can never have too many tools. They are sold in both metric and standard. Just a suggestion hope it works. Alex

2 hours is a long drive for something that may not work. But hey you can never have too many tools. They are sold in both metric and standard. Just a suggestion hope it works. Alex

Yep, it's a long drive, but duty calls. It will be the only sears around me that would carry those. They look promising though, and I was thinking the same thing about the metric possibility. Need to try some metric 12 point sockets as well. Thanks for the help.

Well I finally have the conclusion to the story. I tried the sears sockets, tried packing tin foil in a 1/4" 6 point socket to make it grab better, searched far and wide for someone to get me an external torx socket in size 9, but no luck. But Vintage_Vixsin on eBay has both the socket and the L wrench. They aren't listed, but she says its ok to contact her thru eBay and she'll sell them per request. She just had a baby, so be patient. I'm convinced that it is just a e-9 socket, but they are hard to impossible to get.

Well I finally have the conclusion to the story. I tried the sears sockets, tried packing tin foil in a 1/4" 6 point socket to make it grab better, searched far and wide for someone to get me an external torx socket in size 9, but no luck. But Vintage_Vixsin on eBay has both the socket and the L wrench. They aren't listed, but she says its ok to contact her thru eBay and she'll sell them per request. She just had a baby, so be patient. I'm convinced that it is just a e-9 socket, but they are hard to impossible to get.

Kill'n me too.. I just tore apart a Super 797 get to the rod bolts and WTF found a torques set I bought sure nuff one fit like a glove and removed those sob's have allen heads now but that was a daymare indeed. You don't have the right torques head on that app no fun indeed

Not familiar with the Mac's, but if I ever had to replace any bolt in a critical application, I would go for a socket cap screw, (allen key head). They are better than grade 8 tensile strength.

Well the weak link in Mac's chain engine wise is rod bolts either replace them at overhaul time with new ones were possible I have just purchased 10 sets off ebay again the old days of finding them all over the place is gone you have to grab them while you can ...... correct torque on them is 115 in pounds and use the correct amount of rollers

Dave Bonbright has rod bolts of extra high strength he uses them in his Westbends ..... good stuff

McBob.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back