Md Mac-isa Tcc

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masiman

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Anyone going to the Maryland Tree Climbing Championship this Saturday, 12 Apr?

April 12, 2008 MAC-ISA Tree Climbing Championship, Johnsons Park, Gaithersburg, MD. Call 703-753-0499

I plan on being there. Wife has to work so I'll have the kids and will be limited to what I can do and how long I can stay.

I called the number and they said James Earnhart (sp?) will be going for a record.

50% chance of rain predicted, but I'll be there.

I am glad you posted something on this. I didn't know about it. I live about 30 min away from the park. It sounds like something both fun and informative. I am going to call tomorrow and find out the times. Thank you.
eljefe

I am glad you posted something on this. I didn't know about it. I live about 30 min away from the park. It sounds like something both fun and informative. I am going to call tomorrow and find out the times. Thank you.
eljefe

The rain date is for the 13th and it looks like it will rain on Saturday. I called the other day and the lady said to just call the 703 number on Saturday morning to get an update.

I'll be the one watching with the 4 young kids, say hi if you see me.

Maryland Arborist Association Calendar

Postponed til Sunday the 13th

Hi,
I called the phone number and the recording said posposed til sunday the 13th.
I will be wearing an archery t shirt. I'll say hi if I see you.
ElJefe

Sorry I did not see you ElJefe. If you saw someone going around with the double jogging stroller with just the baby girl, that was me.

That was my first TCC, and I quite enjoyed it. It was a little brisk for the kids (50 and windy) but I kept the moving and running around such that there was not too much complaining. There were two arbor supply shops there with tables set up. One set up some ropes so that kids could get into a saddle and pull themselves up ~20'. Three of mine really enjoyed that. One of mine was sleeping so my wife stayed in the car (she slept too, lol) while I took the other 3 plus one of their friends around. Because of that I really did not get to see anything in full. I think there were four areas set up: Secured Foot Lock, Working Climb, Throw Line and Rescue Climb. I was pretty impressed with all that I could see. The working climb was the most interesting from the little that I saw. The rescue climb took awhile to set up, but I would have like to see more of how that was done. The secured foot lock guys did well but they did not seem nearly as fast as the guys that have videos on youtube :). I was impressed with the one throwline I was able to watch. I could have hit (I think) but in no way could I have done it on one try like they did.

Seemed to be about 200 people, I'm guessing 100 competitors. We were probably the only pure spectators. I'd gladly go again.

I'll see if I can post a pic of one of my kids in the saddle.

Re: Md Mac

Hi Masiman,

Yes, I was there. Sorry to have missed you. I spent most of my time watching the guys coming down the tree and having several chores to do on the way down. What I think you are calling the working climb. There was also a body thrust climb next to the secured foot lock climb. The working climb and the body thrust were the most interesing to me as those are the ones I use the most. I liked the vendor tables, especially Blue Ridge. Their prices seemed good. I agree, it was a bit on the cold side. But I am thinking, this is the weather to do tree work. No bugs!! Although the dratted ticks are already out.
Give a holler if you are up in the Bethesda area. How do you pronouce 'masiman'? The monikers we give ourselves are something Freud would have a field day with, I guess. Anyway, sorry to have missed you, I shold have PMed you my cellphone number.
ElJefe

One of the guys did his footlock in 16 seconds, the world record is mid 14's, so to argue thats not fast is kind of uniformed. The second place and third place guys got 20 and 22, and both of them missed a lock so figure, 18 and 20. 49.5 feet in 20 seconds, is pretty outstanding.

The events they had were the same at all places, Secured Footlock, Belayed speed climb, aerial rescue, work climb, and throwball.

As far as the aerial rescue is concerned, I'd hope you know how to do that. I won't climb unless my groundsman knows how to, if your groundsman doesn't, you shouldn't be in a tree.

Who won the overall event? Top 3 finishers? Just curious, as a few of my old coworkers would have been climbing in it. I worked at it 3 years ago as a tech on the aerial rescue portion. Consisted of running a bucket truck all day, resetting the rescue dummy back in the tree.

One of the guys did his footlock in 16 seconds, the world record is mid 14's, so to argue thats not fast is kind of uniformed. The second place and third place guys got 20 and 22, and both of them missed a lock so figure, 18 and 20. 49.5 feet in 20 seconds, is pretty outstanding.

The events they had were the same at all places, Secured Footlock, Belayed speed climb, aerial rescue, work climb, and throwball.

As far as the aerial rescue is concerned, I'd hope you know how to do that. I won't climb unless my groundsman knows how to, if your groundsman doesn't, you shouldn't be in a tree.

Hello mtd,

You'll notice that I stated this was my first TCC and peppered throughout the second paragraph I mention many times that I was unable to see much of the competitions except for snippets. You'll also notice that I knew someone was going for the WR (which I knew was under 16). I can't help if the secured foot-lock competitors I saw were not as fast as the youtube offerings I have seen. In no way am I impugning your or their capabilities. The 2 or 3 climbs I was able to watch appeared to be in the 30-40 second range. They impressed me and were faster than I could have done, if that gives you a sense of the flavor of my posting. Not belittling, just trying to report the facts of what I saw, no argument intended.

I figured the events were standard, I just posted what I could remember for the benefit of others, thanks for rounding that out.

Sorry Mark, we could not stay until the end. My #2's friend was acting up and needed some dressing down. The kids were quickly going down hill after that so we headed over to McD's to get them warm and pliable again. A bag of french fries and Playland does wonders for attitude, lol. When we came back all the ropes were down and all were gathered around the pavillion. We just drove on home as all that money and time spent at McD's would have gone to waste if I made them get out so I could hear the awards ceremony. As it was, we had an hour drive home. The aerial rescue station was using what looked like a chainsaw powered winch to reset everything. Slow, but effective.

ElJefe, you must have been at least as busy as I was :greenchainsaw: . Things seemed to go pretty smoothly at all the stations. I could see where it could get aggravating for the competitors as it just simply takes time to reset for each evolution. And when you are in a line longer than Costco, you just need patience, lol. I talked with the Blue Ridge folks a bit. They gave the kids free rubber wrist bands. I have wanted to visit their shop (~1 hour drive for me). I may take the kids down there and try out some harnesses for them. The only other shop with supplies in our area that I know of is Kramers. His stock is light but he is a great guy and willing to get you what you need. I like when I have a reason to go there. The other shop there was from Richmond. I am trying to remember their name but can't. They offer a one day course for the professionals that I would like to take. I don't think they will show me anything new, just give me a perspective on sequences and refine techniques. Let me know if you need a hand on a weekend with work up your way. My schedule is hit and miss with the kids and all, but I am willing to travel to learn, lol. I do my climbing solo as a hobby so I have been looking for ways to get out with other climbers to pick up hints and tricks. It was one of the main reasons I wanted to go to the TCC.

Last edited:
The aerial lift station was using a GRCS to lift the dummy and they had the drill attachment with an ECHO gas powered drill.

A guy named Jeremy from Bartlett won the event.

The aerial lift station was using a GRCS to lift the dummy and they had the drill attachment with an ECHO gas powered drill.

A guy named Jeremy from Bartlett won the event.

And I did not know the GRCS could take a powerhead. It did not look like any winch I had seen. It did look more like a Hobbs or GRCS, but the closest I got to it was the parking lot by the vendors.

Yeah, you pull the handle off, pay whatever they charge for the bit and put it in any old drill.

In all cases I was super impressed with all that I could see :). I wouldn't mind trying some of the competitions at a future one. I assume you need to be an ISA member? I would come in dead last in any event I entered, but I know it would be a great way to learn and have some fun at the same time.

I missed the Arborist Day event they had the week before on 5 April. I am not sure if that was a bunch of arborists with tables set up offering services, if they had educational talks, etc. One of my kids turned had their 4 year old bday party and I couldn't miss that :cheers: .

Back