Mechanical hitch dilemma...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

truestory

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi so i've been pondering getting a mechanical Hitch for some time. I'm hesitating between the Zig-Zag and lock jacksport. I like the self tending abilities of the lock jack, the zig zag on the other hand seems to do pretty well in that departement ( does it self tend well?) and I like the possibility of using it with rope wrench, as I am getting into SRT more and more ( how ever I will never work purely SRT, for now it's mostly Ddrt and and wanting to use it more as I get more comfortable with it) So who owns these devices and what advice can you give me to help make my decision? Thanks!

A dilemma with the zigzag is it has to be fed through the entire rope which would make it more difficult to reset once in the canopy. I’ve used the unicender several times works great for SRT and DDRT, and can be placed in line, and it eliminates the need for a rope wrench in SRT.

Hope that helps.

Not being mid-line attachable kills the zigzag and the lock jack for me.

I've got a zig zag and not being mid line attachable hasn't been as big of a deal as I thought. I bought mine after rotator cuff injuries because it works a different muscle group than a hitch otherwise I might not have bought one. The self tending is ok but you have to be quite deliberate for it to work. One downside to it is that its very sensitive. I've had a few heart stopping moments when a bit of rope, a branch or my own flip line has touched the top plate, sending me into free fall. I'm sure anybody who uses one has experienced this.

Haven't used the lock jack so I can't help you there. But, I love my zig zag! It self-tends pretty well once you get up past 15 feet and your tail has a little weight to pull it through. I have a mate who climbs with it srt and loves it as well. I know it gets a bad rap but my vote goes to the zig zag.

So I caved and bought the Zig-zag at a local shop. Took it out yesterday on a small maple with snow on the limbs. I first put it through some natural croth tie in Ddrt to test how it responds to friction. I was delighted. The only friction came from the tie in point wich I deliberatly set to add friction to my system. Moved a round a little and pretty smooth even with the added friction from ****** tie in points. This was easily corrected by installing my friction saver. Now that was a smooth experience! fast moving never any friction to slow down my gliding in the canoppy, which I love and it would self tend when I got up like 10 or 15 feet! Descent was sweet too Quick and smooth. As far as the sensitivity goes, I think you just get used to it. I climbed on it for maybe 1h30 ( started snowing ;)) and there was really no Learning curve as some people have reported. Just be aware that yes it is more prone to disengaging than a friction a Hitch in the event of a limb or branch putting pressure on the top of the device. It is mechanical and the whole point of having such a device is to reduce friction! Your gear improves you should to, that means being more aware and vigilant of how it is operating at all times! I tried it in SRT configuration as well, great experience, bites well on rope and ascends very smoothly with the RopeWrench. The only issue I had, was that I set a caribiner in the zig-zags hole so the stiff tether from rope wrench went on that. While ascending, the carabiner would move toward me and the eye of the tether would slide down it making the wrench slide down the rope. This was anoying and I am wondering how I fix that without having to remove the carabiner from the zig-zig every time. Any suggestions? Other than that, I'm preety anxious for it to stop snowing so I can take it climbing again and put it through a work climb! I'm sur I will not regret my purchase!

Hello, I've just read all the responses to your initial question. I have never used a mechanical hitch although Ive heard from several other arborists that the zig zag is NOT intended for use in a SRT system at all. Apparently this is because of the amount of loading placed on the links in the zig zag during SRT, which by the way are already prone to cracking. My best advice is to contact Petzl directly and ask about SRT use with the zig zag.

Hello, I've just read all the responses to your initial question. I have never used a mechanical hitch although Ive heard from several other arborists that the zig zag is NOT intended for use in a SRT system at all. Apparently this is because of the amount of loading placed on the links in the zig zag during SRT, which by the way are already prone to cracking. My best advice is to contact Petzl directly and ask about SRT use with the zig zag.
He's using it with a rope wrench, it'll be fine.

I understand that, but I've still been told it's not intended for that. A quick email to Petzl is still a good idea.
glad to know that zig zag works well. hope some day I can try it out. However, I use both lock jack and unicender. My conclusion is that unicender is only good to get into your tree (SRT) and all vertical moves. It does not work with limb walking at all. On the other hand, lock jack is perfect for limb walking. I rarely use my unicender anymore. It's surely a piece a good looking art work.

glad to know that zig zag works well. hope some day I can try it out. However, I use both lock jack and unicender. My conclusion is that unicender is only good to get into your tree (SRT) and all vertical moves. It does not work with limb walking at all. On the other hand, lock jack is perfect for limb walking. I rarely use my unicender anymore. It's surely a piece a good looking art work.

Why doesn't the uni work for limb walking? I'm 250 without a saw and gear and am looking very seriously at the uni for all around work. I'm tired of friction knots binding with my lard a$$ so figured this was a great alternative, I mostly work ddrt.

Why doesn't the uni work for limb walking? I'm 250 without a saw and gear and am looking very seriously at the uni for all around work. I'm tired of friction knots binding with my lard a$$ so figured this was a great alternative, I mostly work ddrt.
Lol, I'm 225 don't feel bad. Have you tried adding additional wraps on your friction hitch? It seems most climbers run a 3 wrap VT and 4 on a blakes. Try adding one or two extra wraps on top of a blakes and see how it runs for you. Something about mechanical hitches just makes me uneasy personally. Good luck climb safe brotha.

With a rope wrench it works good but i still think I'm going to continue using an eye to eye with pinto pulley and stiff tether for SRT just to be on the safe side :)

Back