Mediocre day turned out pretty good!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KYLogger

Professional Tree Assassin
Reaction score
Put the down payment on the 450E yesterday, pick it up in a week and a half or two. Spent the rest of the day going over the skidder, fixing up stuff that needed tended to. Welded up some cracks on the blade, lubed her up replaced some of the missing bolts on the body panels etc...Been raining alot and I pulled the skidder outta the woods on the current 75 acre blowdown site to maintenance it. Gotta a call from a friend who had some scrubby, crappy, smallish timber that blew down and was wanting me to cut and skid it (hooray!........note sarcasm) 50/50 deal he loads and hauls. He had been nagging me for about a month, well I decided to go over and see what we could get out. Got almost a load of SMALL poplars and maples (JUNK!) I was thinking "what did I get into? I know there is better timber there but had to get this out first. Initially a salvage only job, well he come over the hill and tells me "anything that will make a log". That made it a little better, but not a whole lot. UNTIL, I got to the bottom of a drain and the brush opened up and lo and behold: 10 poplars straight as a gun barrel, and tall. Pretty stand, no brush spaced perfect. Fired up the 44 and worked on my PNW technique. Humboldting most of em, and went at it like a man possessed. Just plain fun, laid em all out perfect for my skidder man to get. After being in blowdown for two months I was in heaven. Not terribly impressive but it was a nice way to end my day!

Tom

Latest posts

Back