Mega walnut tree in backyard

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thewoodchuck

Reaction score
View attachment 312122

This is a walnut tree in the backyard of a house I just purchased. The board leaning against the tree is a 10'6" long 4x4. I measured the circumference at right around 13' around chest height. The tree has many branches but the trunk is still thick up to about 20-25'. Any opinions out there if this might be a lumber gold mine? I have my doubts since it is in a city setting but thought I'd check it out just in case I can pay the house off with it.

View attachment 312122

This is a walnut tree in the backyard of a house I just purchased. The board leaning against the tree is a 10'6" long 4x4. I measured the circumference at right around 13' around chest height. The tree has many branches but the trunk is still thick up to about 20-25'. Any opinions out there if this might be a lumber gold mine? I have my doubts since it is in a city setting but thought I'd check it out just in case I can pay the house off with it.

in the backyard?? aint a single sawyer will touch it..wayyyy tooo many trees had nails,fence,and what not hammered into them years ago..if you saw it with a chainsaw mill yourself..............................

As value to your property, it's worth more standing. If you wanted to get rid of it because they are kinda dirty trees, dropping nuts and all, sadly to say, it's worth more as firewood. If you could find someone to mill it up, stack it to air dry for a couple years, then you might get a fair return on it. You have limbs big enough to get milled lumber out of. Good luck, Joe.

As value to your property, it's worth more standing. If you wanted to get rid of it because they are kinda dirty trees, dropping nuts and all, sadly to say, it's worth more as firewood. If you could find someone to mill it up, stack it to air dry for a couple years, then you might get a fair return on it. You have limbs big enough to get milled lumber out of. Good luck, Joe.

Too many quick responses to say the tree is worth cord only.
Get a metal detector or find a man with one. 10 mins u will have a difinitive answer

Too many quick responses to say the tree is worth cord only.
Get a metal detector or find a man with one. 10 mins u will have a difinitive answer

our wood market on this side of the pond is/has been in the crapper..
actually every market here is/has been in the crapper..

the only market that's booming is food stamps and welfare !!!

our wood market on this side of the pond is/has been in the crapper..
actually every market here is/has been in the crapper..

the only market that's booming is food stamps and welfare !!!

if your constantly turning all trees in to firewood, not surprised. you keep burning all the good stuff :msp_biggrin:

Looks like around 750 board feet in the main log. After cutting into nails, wire, bolts, an ax head, and cement, I'd throw that one on my Norwood mill in a heartbeat. The only thing that tree could possibly have in it that would surprise me is clear boards. I used a cobaltized (bi-metal) sawmill blade to mill this walnut that I knew had fence wire in it. Actually created some pretty grain, and the blade was still cutting fine after slicing through at least 50 strands of wire.

View attachment 312169

Where in Kansas are you? I'm 20 miles south of Joplin, MO, and often work in the Pittsburg, KS area. Do you want the lumber, or looking to sell?

In the North West it would be valuable

Around here it would be valuable - but that could be an expensive removal so you'd be lucky to break even unless you did all the work yourself.

If someone were to mill slabs from that tree and kiln dry them they could would be worth $10-20 a board ft.

Metal or no metal, that tree is WAY too good for firewood but I'd vote for letting it stand if it's healthy.

If the tree were in the yard of a house I was going to live in, I think I would rather have the nuts than the wood.

If the tree were in someone elses yard, I'd take the wood.

It doesn't matter if there is junk in it or not, no one wants to come get one log. This is a milling site and would be the place to ask. If no small miller will come get it, it is basically worthless. If it was in my wood lot I'd love to have it, and I'm sure there is beautiful wood in it. Will I go get it, no. Will I pay for it, absolutely no. Maybe it's because we have so many of them, they are not rare. I took down 3 walnuts that were close to 36" across. My 36" bar just came through the other side when I notched it. They were straight as an arrow and 40 foot to the first limb. We cut them in 8'6" logs. My neighbor called every mill in the phone book and no one wanted them. They sat for 2 years and another neighbor finally cut them up for firewood. My cousin owns the family tree service, he has a knuckle boom, and gets pretty good money for logs he takes to the mill. But he has to take them in, they won't come to his yard to pick them up. If you can get the log to the mill you might get something for it. But, no one is going to pay you to come get it. Unless you find some hobbyist who wants it bad, it only has value to someone who wants it. Sorry, but that's the way it is, Joe.

Last edited:
I have lived where I am all my life. I can easily identify many trees including nut trees. I have never seen a walnut tree. Someone around here might say they are plentiful, but since I have never seen one in over 40 years, I say they are incredibly rare.

Can we get a photo of the whole tree?

That hole near the top of the photo that hasn't compartmentalized yet - I wonder if that was storm damage or a poor trimming job. Could lead to rot down the main trunk but it looks pretty sturdy right now.

There is one in my old neighborhood at least that large but last time I looked it has poison ivy growing all over it.

Here's a better look at it. Also looks like some missing bark on the left side? That is a 2x4 leaning against it, right?

attachment.php

I have lived where I am all my life. I can easily identify many trees including nut trees. I have never seen a walnut tree. Someone around here might say they are plentiful, but since I have never seen one in over 40 years, I say they are incredibly rare.

I've lived in MD for 57 years and I have never seen an armadillo, are they rare. We've had this discussion several times and it always ends the same way, just like the cartoon posted above. Jump over to the firewood forum and see how many people burn Black Walnut. I love Black Walnut, I'd love to have some of the logs that I've split for firewood when I was a kid, but just because I want it to be valuable, doesn't make it so. I just went on ebay and did a search for Black Walnut and White Oak. That should tell you real world what it's worth. Take a look for yourself. If anyone would like a piece I'd be happy to send you one for the price of the USPS flat rate box. You pick which size box you want and I'll send you a piece. I even have some cut offs that have been air dried in the basement for 20 years or better. You are welcome to those. I hope I haven't hurt any ones feelings, but some one has to be the bad guy, and tell the truth, Joe.

Well...the fault in that argument is that artisans are not actively seeking armadillos for their work.

If you utilized turtle shells for a project but they are extremely difficult to work with (oak) and you wished you had armadillo shells to work with which are easier to work with and more beautiful, then you would be asking me about my plentiful supply of armadillos (walnut).

Would you cut and burn a very nice old osage orange out of a persons yard up there? People in Texas do.

Maybe I should send a log truck up there! :msp_biggrin:

I have seen local ads for people willing to pay money to remove certain trees and walnut is one of them. In my area, if you have large pine trees on your land, you are definitly the person in the cartoon (my highly valuable pine tree), and the other person is willing to pay and is haggling over the price (pine grows like weeds here but are worth money). You can't give oak away unless it's bucked and split.

Regional mindsets I suppose...:msp_unsure:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back