Metal piece fell from tree after cabling...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texican65

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well, about a month and a half ago, i had 2 large fir trees next to each other wind thinned and cabled. The trees were topped 20 years ago and had a lot of new growth where the tops had split into a V. I thought the company did an ok job, a climber in each tree, one much less experienced than the other, made a few mistakes and had to be corrected by the older guy. Anyways, I caught a small shimmer of light underneath one of the trees today, the one the less experienced climber was in, and went to investigate....and found a small 1/4 cable clamp...I think it is laying on the ground. I'm not very happy. I'm not specifically certain how this all attaches so high up, but i guarantee its not supposed to be falling apart in this short time frame. Professionals....what has happened and how? What is my plan of action here to have this corrected? Seems like shoddy workmanship to me, not sure if I trust the same guys to come out and fix it...or is this a common occurrence? Either way, I value your opinions and thank you for your wisdom.

Dow

IMG_2806.jpg IMG_2804.jpg

Well, about a month and a half ago, i had 2 large fir trees next to each other wind thinned and cabled. The trees were topped 20 years ago and had a lot of new growth where the tops had split into a V. I thought the company did an ok job, a climber in each tree, one much less experienced than the other, made a few mistakes and had to be corrected by the older guy. Anyways, I caught a small shimmer of light underneath one of the trees today, the one the less experienced climber was in, and went to investigate....and found a small 1/4 cable clamp...I think it is laying on the ground. I'm not very happy. I'm not specifically certain how this all attaches so high up, but i guarantee its not supposed to be falling apart in this short time frame. Professionals....what has happened and how? What is my plan of action here to have this corrected? Seems like shoddy workmanship to me, not sure if I trust the same guys to come out and fix it...or is this a common occurrence? Either way, I value your opinions and thank you for your wisdom.

Dow

View attachment 596851 View attachment 596852
It was never installed and probably dropped and hung in the tree. It does not mean your install is missing pieces like you are assuming.

It was never installed and probably dropped and hung in the tree. It does not mean your install is missing pieces like you are assuming.
That's what I was thinking... probably slipped out of the workers hand before he could use it (for what, I don't know a thing about).

No way that came off of the cable unless the cable is off of the tree. It would need to slide off of the end to still have both bolts in place.

Get a pair of binoculars and see of the cable is still I place and if each end has 2 clamps on it. If so, no worries. As was said, it probably dropped while working and they never found it.

trees were topped 20 years ago .. I'm not very happy

I would not be happy either if the former owner had DF topped.

However, look on the bright side - the clip you picked up is large for 1/4", indicating top of line clip and hopefully quality of cable used.

Just wondering what type of sales pitch was given for topping DF and then cabling 20 years later....../

Ok thanks a lot guys, I feel a little better about it. I'll try and find the cable up there and make sure it's still attatched, it's way up there though....ya Art, not sure if it was common practice to top firs back then, but somebody did it. And there's about 30-40 feet of new growth, a huge V up there now. There very old trees, haven't broken or fallen over yet, but the tree service company said since we're gonna be up there thinning it out, might as well put a cable on em. I asked the guys here about it and got mixed answers. They only charged me an extra $150 to do that. I'm not the professional here...hopefully me trusting them was the right move?

Says right on there 1/4".
0d7a3795f3b87791ce8beabae27a1a79.jpg

Topping Douglas firs was common 20-30 yrs ago. Especially if there would be a view involved. Even with today's practices, we still get requests to "cut'em in half" and then you have spend time telling people why topping conifers is poor practice.

30-40 feet of new growth in 20 years, slow growers those ones are.

You guys are giving substandard cabling advice.

J lags are a big no no in softwood species like conifers.

Throughbolts, EHS 7strand cables, thimbles and dead end tree grips have a long proven track record.

http://www.amleo.com/dead-end-cable-grips/p/VP-TGXX/

Wire rope clips such as pictured can be installed incorrectly, which is why they're considered lame.

The last leg of cable must rest in the bottom of the U bolt, or else be vulnerable to pulling out under extreme loading.

Hopefully the cabler doubled the wireclips on the terminations, in the correct orientation.

Don't start with the stupid dynamic cabling crap and rigguy bs, please.

Jomoco

Throughbolts, EHS 7strand cables, thimbles and dead end tree grips have a long proven track record.

Wire rope clips such as pictured can be installed incorrectly, which is why they're considered lame.

The last leg of cable must rest in the bottom of the U bolt, or else be vulnerable to pulling out under extreme loading.

Hopefully the cabler doubled the wireclips on the terminations, in the correct orientation.

Jomoco

I knew that would stir you up,
Jeff :D

Jomoco

I won't Jon, just wanted to get you riled,,:p
Jeff:cheers:,, let's get lunch some time, I am always around,
Jeff

Back