Metal stakes in trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grubs

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
The scourge of the arborist. :censored:

We've bought a property recently and I'd estimate we have 15-20 trees in the garden that have metal fence posts (star pickets) poking out of the base of the trees at an angle. They were staked when small and have grown around the picket. Its terrible the previous owners never saw fit to remove them in time. Some of these trees are 25ys old - all manner of deciduous species diameters from 6-18".

On a couple of tree I could attempt extraction (I think!). I could bang the free end of the picket a few times to break the tree trunk's hold and then jack the pickets out with a truck jack. This might work on some trees but would leave a downward pointing hole into the tree that I fear would fill with soil and debris and create rot/infection.

Another option is to cut the pickets off as close to the tree as possible - in a couple of years the tree will completely consume the picket and easthetically it will look better than it does now. I'd mark an map every tree for the benefit of any future arborist. I dont know how many of the trees with no visible stake might have a picket fully hidden inside already.

Last option is do nothing so at least we can see the stakes as fair warning - but the sight of it makes baby Jesus cry :cry:

Do arborists carry metal detectors as part of their kit these days?

Is cutting the pickets off close to the trunk an OK solution?

Marking and mapping the trees is a really good idea as most arborists, in our experience, do NOT carry metal detectors with them.

We would recommend cutting the stakes off as close to the trees as possible, without cutting into the bark, and letting the tree grow around. This would probably create the least wounding.

And judging by the amount of debris we have found in trees with no external evidence, they will probably be fine.

Sylvia

Latest posts

Back