Michigan man dead after tree he was cutting fell on him

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you work in the woods long enough you see trees fall in unexpected ways.

To answer your question, it is possible for even the most experienced person to get killed doing everything correctly. We come to get cocky, at times because we are professionals and we have cut thousands of trees. Many of which were deadly instruments just standing there.

I used to give classes all the time when I was in the Army. I was a regular at all kinds of classes. Not because I knew the material any better but because of my style of teaching. I like to explain it first throughly then I do it, then I have the students do it.
As a logger I was asked to break in the newbies, get them into the woods, show me the best way to make the lead and which trees I should take and why. Eventually we would start to cut. On one particular occasion this new guy Jim wanted to watch me cut this very large diameter Fir. This tree seemed to have been left to grow from the first cut, and this was a third generation harvest. This one tree if cut properly would fill 1/3 of a truck of short logs.

I told Jim to stand about 40' away from the tree so he would have time to react if it started to fall, he was off to the side behind me. I made my face cut, and looked around to see him where I had stationed him. I proceed to begin my back cut, and guess what, the tree crumbled, it was rotten through about 15' above my head, but looked totally solid. When the tree started to move, it exploded, I mean if it had been packed with explosives it wouldn't have exploded any differently.

Jim had decided stupidly to get a better view, and was only about 15' behind me in my escape path... I not only ran into him but he was in so much shock that I had to pull him out of the way as the top came crashing down on the very point we were standing. To have seen the way this tree collapsed I still don't understand how it was standing in the first place.

When the solid portion of the tree hit the ground, it sheared and caused the top to begin to fall in a different direction, it again struck the ground and shifted its path, it finally came to rest where Jim had been standing. The original head lean was almost exactly the other way.

Jim quit his job, went back to school and is now an X-ray tech.
Some back story here, Jim had worked with us for 6 months on the landing and 4 months as a swamper. So he knew something about the way the trees can act.

A few years later, I was doing some USDA contract thinning in the Sit Grieves National forest in Alpine, AZ. I was assigned to fell trees on a parcel of land to assist in Mistletoe isolation. I had to fall a medium sized Pinion pine because it was totally infested with mistletoe. I read the log and it showed that it couldn't fall anyway but down hill, I made my face cut and it barber chaired, I moved very quickly, but it ended up landing on me, and pinning me to the ground under its branches. My crew cut me out.

The Forest Ranger on that project had been there that day and had seen this tree fall, he said that he had never seen that particular problem before. His comments reinforce my title, trees act unexpectedly.

Be careful , it is dangerous out there.

I mean this:

That our knowledge as professionals works, that it is not dumb luck keeping us alive. No, I don't really like to hear about people getting it like this but I have some sort of consolation thinking that since I know about all the things that can kill you and heed them I stand a better chance of making it.
Now if the injury and death forum was filled with stories about professionals dying right and left I would feel rather uneasy.
It seems the people who are getting killed the most are those who either did not know the rules or didn't not heed them. I know and heed so I feel better knowing I got a pretty good shot at not making my wife cash in my life ins policy just yet. I don't feel quite the sheep to slaughter.

.You've never fell timber in the wind in Southeast I take it . Because sheep to the slaughter is how it feels some days .....
There are so many things that CAN go WRONG that it,s ONLY by the Grace of God I can sit here and type this , and go to work tomorrow , and walk upright ,ect. ...I know a bunch of dead Professional Timber fallers . And more that almost can,t even pick up a power saw .........And I mean some guys that were as strong as a man and a half ...Bullet proof tough .....and they are dead and crippled for life ..........Way better hands and fallers than I am . But tomorrow I will go to work and before I go my wife and I will pray to Almighty God to help us , and to keep us safe . The wife will have the same force of concern she does every morning she prays for me before I go to work cuttin timber ...............I,m a really good timber faller .A bit above average amonst hard core professional fallers in Alaska ... But I ain,t good enough to keep myself alive and in one piece not for 25 years makin a living with a saw ........Every night I thank the Lord Jesus for blessing me with another day on the saw ... Another day of living .........It,s not a religous thing ... It,s a real thing .. I don,t come over to the accident side much .............It,s too hard dealing with all the questions asked and answered ......... Other pro,s will tell you one of the same things I will .. You don,t run from every tree , or even most trees ,., Only the ones you need to and you need to be fluid enough to read the tree and make it in the clear in time .............It,s a bad deal when ANYONE with a saw gets it . And especially when a pro does , because it does rock the world of our individual knowledge .............It,s mandatory to review all we do concerning our work ...... But without God's help , I,m just a little bug in a great big forest ....

Well said Tramp, sometimes I take a moment to just watch my wife and children do their everyday things, because you know you might not see it again.

Laying aside our not-so-insignificant egos for just a moment gentlemen (and lady) it is fair to say that ignorance is the enemy of the new hand. In that same vein then, complacency is the enemy of the skilled and experienced tree worker.

Reading this is yet another reminder to use the right technique EVERY time.

:cheers:

What about the hundreds of situations no tecknique was developed for ?

Of the hundreds of thousands of trees I,ve fell , not a hundred were the same identicle situation ........I agree tecknique is important and skill also ...But a persons brain is only so big ,and some things just happen .

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back