Might need grinding?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I lost one of my wedges in the bush last week. Stopped by the pawn shop and picked up a replacement. I think I just might need to do some grinding on it. :) About the worst mushroom I can recall seeing.

Picture097.jpg

Harry K

That looks like one my grand-dad used to have, but his was worse. It was shroomed so bad that the shroom had split into separate petals. I think my dad finally took a grinder to it.

Ian

Yup, been used a bit lol, real biatch if ya get one buried and sure doesn't make splitting any easier. I just redid one of mine, found it saves time if you whack what you can off with a cold chisel or metal work hammer and it helps get rid of any shrapnel that would otherwise be flung at body parts. I'm sure you know to not temper the steel with grinding.
Next one on my list is an old hand forged wedge that looks to be 100 if its a day, looks almost as bad as yours, think it may have origionally been used for splitting rails as it has a splayed end (about 4" wide) and is very pounded on one side of the head like it was driven down the split, dunno, almost tempted just to put it on display but iffin I start that with my tools it'll never end :(

:D

:cheers:

Serge

Yup, been used a bit lol, real biatch if ya get one buried and sure doesn't make splitting any easier. I just redid one of mine, found it saves time if you whack what you can off with a cold chisel or metal work hammer and it helps get rid of any shrapnel that would otherwise be flung at body parts. I'm sure you know to not temper the steel with grinding.
Next one on my list is an old hand forged wedge that looks to be 100 if its a day, looks almost as bad as yours, think it may have origionally been used for splitting rails as it has a splayed end (about 4" wide) and is very pounded on one side of the head like it was driven down the split, dunno, almost tempted just to put it on display but iffin I start that with my tools it'll never end :(

:D

Serge

Thanks for the 'cold chisel' tip. I hadn't considered that. Wasn't looking forward to grinding all that off keeping it cool. I had considered using the hacksaw first.

Harry K

Harry, a sawzall will get it back into rough shape pretty quickly also. Will need to touch up with a grinder, but it gets rid of the heavy grinding without tempering the steel.

Thanks for the 'cold chisel' tip. I hadn't considered that. Wasn't looking forward to grinding all that off keeping it cool. I had considered using the hacksaw first.

Harry K
Quite welcome Harry, hacksaw will work fine too just more (argggg) work :D
Like the sawz-all approach too but still you have to watch the heat!
Remember fellows, wedges are soft (er) and mushroom fer a reason, hardening parts of them can lead to flung chipped metal, not a good thing for man nor beast imho. :)

Serge

Back