"milking" out a new rope

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SRT-Tech

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have an interesting technique for "milking" out a new rope, particularly a full 600' length spool.

1: leave rope on spool, tie one end to a solid anchor (tree, post etc) in a football field or big field.

2: unroll the spool, until the spool is empty and you have a long length of rope on the field.

3: walk all the way back to the anchor post, attach a Rappel Rack to the rope, near the anchor. use about 5 - 6 bars

4: attach a short length of accessory rope to the rappel rack eye, and hand one end to your buddy, who will help for beers ;) . You grab the other end.

5: now both of you pull the rack, all the way down the length of the rope, be it 120, 150, 200, 600 feet. This will stretch out and set the rope. when you reach the end, you should see a small "bubble" of the outer sheath .

6: disconnect rack, and go back to the anchor and repeat this a few times. Its quite easy, even if your by yourself.

7: cut off and seal the end of the rope when you reach it.

presto rope is "broken in" and all the strands are nicely stretched and set.

:cheers:

sounds fine to me except #5. change it to read: hook to 4 wheeler and pull down the rope.
-Ralph

begleytree said:
sounds fine to me except #5. change it to read: hook to 4 wheeler and pull down the rope.
-Ralph

HAHAHA!!!! i'd have to say NO! too much heat buildup on the rappel rack, might burn the rope.

but i can see where it would be quick... :)

Wow thanks SRT, this is a great guide. I will be sure to give all my ropes a kick in the guts' this way from now on. It's alot better then my old way.

Reps for ya :D

Latest posts

Back