new climber here suggestions welcome.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

handyman4u

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello Hello everyone a list of all the gear I have so far I have a left and right hand ascenders, both with foot strap I have a full harness, 5 auto locking caribbeaners, 2 16 strand half inch 150' Perantib climbing ropes, 6' shock absorbing lanyard w/double hooks, ITO rocky climbing gear ascender & decsender, corkscrew is for anchoring my climbing line, and I'm using a tow strap to wrap around the tree.
20220224_110842.jpg20220224_110834.jpg20220224_110733.jpg
Ok so I have a set of ice cleats coming and another climbing rope since the ones I have are to big for the ITO decsender. So question is what way can I rig this so I can use both feet straps independently and when I was just testing everything out and put my weight on the line my feet keep wanting to swing out instead of staying under me. I'm using the SRT method to climb

Hello Hello everyone a list of all the gear I have so far I have a left and right hand ascenders, both with foot strap I have a full harness, 5 auto locking caribbeaners, 2 16 strand half inch 150' Perantib climbing ropes, 6' shock absorbing lanyard w/double hooks, ITO rocky climbing gear ascender & decsender, corkscrew is for anchoring my climbing line, and I'm using a tow strap to wrap around the tree.
View attachment 967935View attachment 967937View attachment 967939
Ok so I have a set of ice cleats coming and another climbing rope since the ones I have are to big for the ITO decsender. So question is what way can I rig this so I can use both feet straps independently and when I was just testing everything out and put my weight on the line my feet keep wanting to swing out instead of staying under me
I've never anchored my climbing line with a corkscrew.

Sounds exciting.
It's one of those dog leash anchors, only other thing I'd have would be a couple cinder blocks but I don't want to take a chance messing up my climbing rope

You're screwing that into the ground beside the tree, throwing rope over junction or branch, tying the rope to the dog anchor, then climbing that rope?!? If so, please stop immediately and research basal anchor and canopy anchor knots.
No I'm using a tow strap to go around the base of tree and using the lesh anchor just to keep tension on the bottom of the rope to keep it from moving around while I climb up it

Tow straps? Dog leash anchors? Ice cleats for what?? Two hand ascenders but no foot ascender? That lanyard is going to be a disaster for tree work...no idea what that steel cable and pulleys is for...never heard of that descender, but that doesn't mean it's bad...

This kit looks highly suspect.

Look into basal anchors. You do not want to hook the end of your line to the ground because you may need to re-direct or move the rope to another area. I'm scared to hear what you plan on usin 'ice cleats' for. You should start with moving rope systems in my opinion before going to SRT.

Are you looking to just climb recreationally or are you thinking about doing climbing removals? Maybe we can be more helpful if we know what you're planning to do.

EchoRomeoCharlie.. I have foot straps to use with my hand ascenders, and yes I'm using a tow strap around the base of tree to anchor to it has a tensile of 6,500lbs2022-02-2415.35.455956039942712132360.jpg
And as for the lesh anchor I was going to just use it to steady climbing rope until I got up in tree I was going to tie a simple slip knot and have some paricord attached so I could pull knot out if I needed to move my line around. And no it's not a joke I did say suggestions welcome lol as for what I'm doing I have a post oak I'm wanting to take down and it's around 40in in thickness and around 45-60ft tall lightning hit it several years ago and it is slowly rotting from the top down

EchoRomeoCharlie.. I have foot straps to use with my hand ascenders, and yes I'm using a tow strap around the base of tree to anchor to it has a tensile of 6,500lbsView attachment 968027
And as for the lesh anchor I was going to just use it to steady climbing rope until I got up in tree I was going to tie a simple slip knot and have some paricord attached so I could pull knot out if I needed to move my line around. And no it's not a joke I did say suggestions welcome lol as for what I'm doing I have a post oak I'm wanting to take down and it's around 40in in thickness and around 45-60ft tall lightning hit it several years ago and it is slowly rotting from the top down

With all due respect, I’m pretty frightened for your safety.

If at all possible, you should sign on with a local tree service that has a good reputation and a focus on safety. Start with ground work, you should be really proficient at using a chainsaw on the ground before using one at height.

Anything in that pile of stuff that’s made in China or Taiwan should not be counted on to keep you from dying. Those carabiners belong in the recycle bin. This is work positioning, not fall arrest. Unless you’re working from an aerial lift, there’s zero reason to need a deceleration lanyard.

Order The Tree Climber’s Companion, written by Jeff Jepson, it’ll be very enlightening, really great little book for anyone wishing to learn basics about tree climbing.

I would also advise you to seek professional training, and to start with a more simple system like a Moving rope/double rope technique. I climb SRT when needed using a knee and foot ascender along with a rope runner pro. I dont use a tow strap, i normal either tie in with a basal anchor using a running bowline to choke the tree, or a canopy anchor using an alpine butterfly knot and leaving some tail to remove the rope when done. You dont need to tie the rope to anything. I will hang a couple of throw bags on the bottom of my climb line a couple feet of the ground to help it tend through the acsenders until i get high enough for the rope to self tend. I think you should very seriously rethink climbing a lighten struck falling apart tree with questionable kit and no experience before you get very hurt

I have grown up cutting and hauling firewood and 8ft posts and mini logs so as for knowing how to use a chainsaw Id say I'm pretty good but anyone can still have an accident no matter how good they are. As for local tree trimming people most of them are all so full of there self it's not even funny so why would I want someone like that teaching me. I stated suggestions are welcome and so far it seems like all I've received is people questioning me about some of the stuff I'm using or just plain negativity I said I was a newbie to climbing and asked for suggestions to help me improve my gear and yes I agree on the stuff that is knock offs but I did do my research before I bought things. I'm wanting to know if there is a setup that I can use both of my hand ascenders with foot straps independently from each other to climb. And as for using the leash anchor to help hold me rope tight to keep me from swinging while I climb I planned to use a slip knot and use paricord to pull the knot out after I get up in the tree. If you know of any better way to keep me from swinging around while climbing please do tell me and don't just go off about what I've bought for gear and here is the tree I want to cut down 20220224_172348.jpg

First, you have experienced climbers coming in here and telling you straight up that you're on the wrong track. Please put your ego away and heed the advice learned from experience. We're telling you to go seek professional help because that's what we believe is the best course of action for you to take to keep you alive. If you don't like that answer, that's fine, but we're not going to tell you anything short of what we honestly believe is the best answer.

Us telling you what gear you need isn't going to help you, it's not really about the gear. The gear you have could get you in a tree, that's the least of your worries when it comes to dismantling a tree that size especially when basal anchored SRT system. You could have $10,000 worth of the best gear and still die climbing.

That's not a tree for a novice climber IMO. Even if I felt you had the kit to do it(which I don't) that's not where one starts. I had some of the best kit on the market when I started and I would not have attempted that tree for a first tree. No chance.

Also, it's only one picture but it sure seems like there's room to fall that tree whole.

. If you know of any better way to keep me from swinging around while climbing please do tell me and don't just go off about what I've bought for gear and here is the tree I want to cut down

That's a beautiful tree and from here looks well worth preserving.

I bet it drops a lot of leaves in the yard.

Echoromeocharlie might be right, you could maybe drop the whole thing in the yard there. The other thing I dont understand is why a guy would use SRT on a removal. It is for tree jobs where you cant/ shouldnt use spurs, to my understanding. It would be interesting to learn but save up some dough and get some foot acenders and leave the wal mart items in the trunk of your car. They could come in handy!

If your dead set on climbing and cutting this tree go get some spurs and a Ddrt set up, you know a prussik for that climb line and a proper flip line. And a bull rope and maybe a lowering device and someone you can trust cause if your piecing that guy out it looks like you might be lowering some limbs.

I have tried cheap and janky before, and it didn't kill me, and while a useful learning experience (on what not to do) it was also a waste of time!

I feel so old. I have no idea what half that stuff is even for. All I use is a rope and a saddle. A set of spurs are all you need to climb a tree for removal. With spurs, that's the easy way up. You walk right up the side of the tree.

That said. The odds of a novice successfully dismantling this tree without property damage or severe injury and possibly without death, are very low.

When I started climbing for a tree service, I was sent up the tree for pruning and no chainsaw use while in the trees for the first year. This would be a "nice little tree removal" after 20 years experience. When I was first starting out? No way! Not a chance I could have removed a tree like that within my first year or two of climbing.

Your risk of death is very high. Do not attempt. Safety, saftey, safety, knowledge and experience are required. Not all that gear.

when I was just testing everything out and put my weight on the line my feet keep wanting to swing out instead of staying under me
You mean your basal anchor is in place, the vertical line is over a crotch, and you start to climb the rope (no spurs), and your head goes back, feet front? You probably need to put weight on the bottom of the rope...set it so it's floating slightly off the ground when all your weight is on it, and put way more body weight on the legs than arms. (I never tried SRT BTW) (see )

That's not a tree for a novice climber IMO
What's hard about climbing it? It just looks harder to rig because that large branch over the building has nothing above it (to redirect limb walking, or positive rigging). I guess you mean climbing that top branch? I would hope you can cut it somewhat large.

here is the tree I want to cut down
Can you show angles showing branches are over things you don't want destroyed or aren't over them? Is that large top one over the building? Is this a practice tree? ... something you can drop whole, but you decided to climb it anyway?

Also, it's only one picture but it sure seems like there's room to fall that tree whole.
If you decide at some point your climbing practice is over, and it's time to drop it whole, just remember that if you chop off lots of branches on the side it leans towards, but not the opposite, maybe it now really leans the opposite way than what it looks like.

And what knot will you use for the ascender?

And do you have a pruning saw? (way lighter obviously, and great for practicing vs a chainsaw, and probably essential anyway... I have a Silky Sugoi 360) And a top handle chainsaw? (remember top handle is more dangerous...aim so kickback doesn't go towards your face.) What's the bungee double snap cord for...a chainsaw? I think it's not ideal for that...should ask others about it though. I bought a specific lanyard for my chainsaw... (https://www.treestuff.com/buckingham-tear-away-chainsaw-lanyard/) which also has rings so you can hook it close to you instead of only dangling low.

And do you have a ground crew? At the minimum, you need someone to know whether you're doing fine. But you'll want someone to help keep your load down...send heavy things up later, and work the rigging and tagline. And make sure they know a few knots (bowline, double bowline (for awful ropes where bowline loosens easily), alpine butterfly (for awful or too different sized ropes where slip knots and quick hitch loosen easily), slip knot (best for carabiners,snaps), and quick hitch (best for 2 ropes)).

And you mentioned bowline... which is commonly used for rigging, and maybe not ideal for life support; maybe you should use a more secure knot, like a double bowline (still easy to untie), or a running alpine butterfly () (sacrifice some ease for security, but still easy enough to untie vs. eg. figure 8 loop).

And I'm not very experienced or professional BTW... something like you perhaps. I have a lot of trees and decided to take care of them myself. I will climb with spurs, and take out whole trees and not prune anything. I plan to just cut whole trees whole or piece by piece before it gets dangerous (eg. high around buildings; I have no power lines, roads, or other things to deal with). I'm using MRS old school with just friction hitches, no ascender hardware. (and I love positive criticism, and would appreciate any, but I don't mean to hijack this thread)

And left safety for last... the others already covered the warning side of it, but not so much the detail. I think you should listen to what has been said, but you don't necessarily have to fear for your life and stop ... Just be as careful as you can be, and don't push it past your abilities.

So here's a long dump/ramblings of all I can think of at this moment: know your limits, and don't do anything you aren't sure of until you go further (like higher up, or cut larger things). And make sure you can always go back (eg. apparently some people find it easy to climb with spurs and flipline, but then can't figure out how to descend...so they say to practice going down right away, when you're just a few steps up; and I can imagine situations like let's say you're on a MRS and somehow you get lots of friction on the line, and so you can't descend... avoid that [especially avoid adding slack and therefore a risk of shock load in your attempt] or have a plan of how to get out of it.). And especially always have multiple attachments so if any fail (or a branch breaks), you're still secure in the tree (for broken branch, it means another branch below it catches you... ideally, you're around the trunk on a branch, not just a branch), and your connection to the tree is above you, never below... you don't want a shock load. There's no belayer like in rock climbing... you never should have to handle a drop like they do. And when you cut, consider having the lines separated so if you somehow cut a rope, it doesn't cut more than one. Steel core is supposed to help with that, but people seem to say they can fail at the joints from metal fatigue, and unlike knots, are hard to inspect and notice early. And plan ahead... consider where the branch goes if things go wrong...does it hit you? your rope? your basal anchor? I find climbing is simple...but rigging is more complicated (my favorite video about it: ...one thing where I made mistakes not mentioned in the video is if you want to raise a branch or hold it from falling, you have to tie really far out from the cut...branches are heavier than they look, and too close kills your leverage). Practice small and low so when things go wrong, the result is a lesson you (and the roof of that building?) will survive. And one last note, remember that unlike MRS, with SRT and a basal anchor, the crotch/branch up above takes almost 2x your force (less only from angle and friction)... you and the anchor both pull down. So if you have an idea of how thick it has to be, remember to adjust that.

What's hard about climbing it? It just looks harder to rig because that large branch over the building has nothing above it (to redirect limb walking, or positive rigging). I guess you mean climbing that top branch? I would hope you can cut it somewhat large.

Nothing is hard about climbing it if you know how to climb, climbing it is the easy part. He's not interested in just climbing it, he's interested in dismantling it while climbing it. A whole different situation.

OP - My current advice if you insist on doing this is use your system if you're confident in it, but spend an hour going up 10 feet and coming down. Find something you don't like? Change it. Start feeling comfortable at 10? Go to 30, get on a limb, see how it feels. Climb that tree 30-50 times before you attempt to remove it.

I still don't think that's a novice tree removal. But if you're going to do it, go low and slow, very slow. It took me a year of self-learning and self-teaching before I did my first removal. I climbed 30 different trees before I actually took a saw up into one. My first tree was a LOT simpler than that particular tree with no rigging involved and I learned a TON from that tree. I learned that a tree like you pictured is not a tree for a green beginner. But again, if you're dead set on doing it, do enough tree climbing that you're comfortable with the climbing part. THEN add the chainsaw part.

If you want a gear recommendation from me, I would get rid of pretty much everything you have, and get something like this:

https://www.wesspur.com/climbing-kits/deluxe-rope-climbing-kit.html
Only thing I would maybe keep is the hand ascenders...and even then, I don't use a hand ascender at all. Most people running SRT set ups don't(at least not the guys I've seen climb SRT). Knee ascender/foot ascender and just use your hands on the rope.

You can add a SRT kit to the above kit and have a very well rounded rope climbing set up. Add a set of spurs and you pretty much have everything besides rigging equipment.

I feel so old. I have no idea what half that stuff is even for. All I use is a rope and a saddle. A set of spurs are all you need to climb a tree for removal. With spurs, that's the easy way up. You walk right up the side of the tree.

That said. The odds of a novice successfully dismantling this tree without property damage or severe injury and possibly without death, are very low.

When I started climbing for a tree service, I was sent up the tree for pruning and no chainsaw use while in the trees for the first year. This would be a "nice little tree removal" after 20 years experience. When I was first starting out? No way! Not a chance I could have removed a tree like that within my first year or two of climbing.

Your risk of death is very high. Do not attempt. Safety, saftey, safety, knowledge and experience are required. Not all that gear.
Me too! Not that I'm planning on starting a tree removal service this late in my life, but all I'm familiar with are spurs and climbing belts from working with a company that replaced phone lines and poles. Good fun job till you had to carry the poles up a hill or the side of a mountain. OR, you got into a nest of pissed off yellow jackets.
Like to find a source to help me understand what all this stuff is to eddycate me. 🥴

Latest posts

Back