mill speed comparison, hva 2110 vs 090

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mackie

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
i compared cutting speed on a chainsaw mill wiht a hva 2100 and a stihl 090.

in englemann spruce, in a 9.5" wide cut, the 2100 pulled just over 3 feet per minute.

in the same log, with the same chain, the 090 pulled almost 6 feet per minute in a 9.5 inch wide cut. in a 6.5" wide cut , the 090 ripped 10 feet in one minute.

Thats because the 090 is 137CCs where the 2100 is only 100. pluse the 090 has the MASSIVE torque advantage, which in milling is the most important thing.

Not that time isn't money (or as some bankers might say, money doesn't equal honesty or productivity), but is the 090 more fuel efficient-per ft of cut? are they both taking out the same kerf (3/8" chain)?

Also, I was thinking about angling the bar "the other way, so the saw pulls itself into the log," per a prior post, but was also wondering whether leaving the bar angled to the rear, might not make straighter-smoother cuts. To the rear, the bar might have less tendency lift up off the rails and "run away with the cut?"

the 090 didnt run long enough to use a full tank of gas, i know the 394 sucked down fuel while milling. i bet the 090 will be more efficient per foot of cut. other than that everything was equal for the comparison, same chain, same log

I'm finding that when milling stuff less than 10 inches my 395XP is dis-proportionally faster than when slicing wide boards. Example, cutting up a cherry tree last weekend I was pushing through 8 inch wide cherry log at about 8 seconds per foot. When I tackled a 16inch butt log, double the wood, it slowed down to 22 seconds per ft. In soft small stuff like 8" pine, if I angle the mill a bit, I also can zip through 10 ft in a minute like mackie says with his 090. Torque is the name of the game when milling stuff over 10 inches, you definitely need a saw that can keep pulling and not bog down. I've milled 30 inch oak with only a 365 but it was NO fun. Real hard on my 365, and it took forever. Thus the investment in the 395XP which I use almost exclusively just for milling logs into cants before milling them into boards with my Ripsaw.

everybody talks about competitions for crosscut sawing, and associated race chains etc.-- do GTG competitions ever include milling races ... is there such a thing as a race chain for milling?

If there were such a thing as a race chain for milling it would immediatly find its way into the daily users arsenal of milling chains !

milling competitions

Molecule said:
everybody talks about competitions for crosscut sawing, and associated race chains etc.-- do GTG competitions ever include milling races ... is there such a thing as a race chain for milling?
The sawmill shootout is somewhat of a race/competition . These people will be there this year . http://www.logosol.com check out the Timberjig milling attachment and videos .

Which angle do you guys sharpen the chain when milling?
I tried first with the usual 35° and had a poor speed on a 15" ash-tree. I didn't measure the time but that didn't make fun. And it consumed fuel that I had to refill my canister within a short time.

Using 10° I could at least triple the speed even on a 20" hornbeam. So that was really good then.

Latest posts

Back