Millin fruitwoods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Railomatic

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Over the last few years I have been milling many of our native fruitwoods for use in my musical instrument making, species like Holly, Laburnham, Plumb, Pear, Apple, Cherry, Damson, Hawthorn, Hazel and many more, all of which are really excellent for making musical instruments, furniture and the like.

As an eclologically minded person, I belive that these sustainable species should be used more widely, instead of the ever decreasing exotic timbers like Rosewoods, Blackwood and Ebony.

What I'm getting at is, all the guys out there that mill any of these types of fruit wood, will if kept to one side have a real nest egg, because the exotics are fast running out, the price of fuel etc will ever rise and transporting the exotics that are left will soon become very expensive, if one diversifies now, and keeps all the fruit woods in a safe place, they will soon be worth thier weight in gold.

Apart from this slightly off topic subject, happy milling to all.

Last edited:
Around christmas I was in the South west of Western Australia where there used to be many tradiational orchards now all making way for vinyards. Driving past an old orchard I could see a pile of fruitwood trunks all heaped up and looking like they were ready for a bonfire so I stopped and asked if I could have some. The orchard managed said no - they were all spoken for and someone was coming to pick them up to be exported to Asia. Aparently they were going for woodchips for meat smokers!

Dang!

Around christmas I was in the South west of Western Australia where there used to be many tradiational orchards now all making way for vinyards. Driving past an old orchard I could see a pile of fruitwood trunks all heaped up and looking like they were ready for a bonfire so I stopped and asked if I could have some. The orchard managed said no - they were all spoken for and someone was coming to pick them up to be exported to Asia. Aparently they were going for woodchips for meat smokers!

Dang!

That was a real shame after all those years growing and producing fruit, it would have been really nice to see something made from them that could have been around for a few hundred years for people to see and enjoy, this is why I say, grab it while you can before it goes up in smoke.
I can imagine why they would want the chips for smoking, apple and cherry and many others have the most gorgeous scent, which lingers on for years after it is cut and dried.

Don't worry, I rarely pass up sizable chunks of apple, pear or holly when I find them. Cherry is relatively plentiful and I do indeed have lots of that. However, around here apple/holly/pear are usually smaller logs. Often not more than 3-4 ft long and rarely more than 12" dia. Often much smaller than that.

There are some really old apple trees at my parents place. This is an old farm built in about 1865 and the trees may be almost that old. These trees are huge sprawling things, not groomed for many years, at least 30 feet high and wide. Trunks are over 2 feet dia. The inside of the trunks is completely gone, rotted to powder and only about 3 or 4" of wood remains. Nothing there to mill, but you could extract some small boards with a bandsaw... I have a couple of chunks from branches we had to cut, awaiting inspiration...

Anyway, we don't want to cut these ancestral monsters, they still produce thousands of apples and we harvest some of them.:D

It's funny you brought this up, Rail, as I just this afternoon finished a conoid chair made from walnut and apple (don't forget the nut woods) here's some pics

It's funny you brought this up, Rail, as I just this afternoon finished a conoid chair made from walnut and apple (don't forget the nut woods) here's some pics

Very nice, simple, functional, great looking chair you made there, I also have some nut wood, Hazel, it has the nicest nut brown colour, I will be making a musical instrument from it soon.

Thanks guys. I developed a drawing from several photographs, then worked up a plywood prototype to get the proportions right. I use alot of plywood and MDF for experimenting with new pieces and joinery challenges, thatway fewer of my experiments end up in the fireplace. I had seen one of Nakashima's original conoid chair sets years ago as part of an exhibit of his work. Ever since that day It's been my dream to build furniture that, as Nakashima put it, captures the soul of the tree. I've just about reached the point where that dream is becoming everyday reality. This beats house framing anyday.

Thanks guys. I developed a drawing from several photographs, then worked up a plywood prototype to get the proportions right. I use alot of plywood and MDF for experimenting with new pieces and joinery challenges, thatway fewer of my experiments end up in the fireplace. I had seen one of Nakashima's original conoid chair sets years ago as part of an exhibit of his work. Ever since that day It's been my dream to build furniture that, as Nakashima put it, captures the soul of the tree. I've just about reached the point where that dream is becoming everyday reality. This beats house framing anyday.

you do nice work. I have built a few modern pieces. All George Nelson Style, out of plywood for a friend of mine that has a modern furniture store. I always loved the Nakashima pieces and now that I am milling for myself, will have to build a few. Thanks for reminding me, and giving me the inspiration. ;)

Live the dream. Life is too short to not thoughly enjoy everyday doing what you love. You have the talent. Go with it. I won't ever be an employee again. I love what I do. Thats how life should be!

Here's a little "Mulberry" that my brother cut down in his yard, i drug it home and milled it up.... This little tree sure made some pretty lumber...

Rob

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Mullbury is another wood that apparently the Japanese like. If you are in the right place at the right time, it might be worth something. I like the yellow creamy color of it myself.

Long ripping chain problems

Anyone know what problem i am havin with my ripping chain? Ive been useing short bars 24" for a couple of years, just started using 36" bar on large blackwood log , but having problems,doesnt seem to want to cut.So I tried ripping roughly half way through the log for the full length of the log and then changed to the 36" bar to finish the job which worked fine.But the question is how come i cant rip full width with the 36" bar,pretty weird stuff.Can anyone help THANKS? I use a Stihl ms660 91.5cc chainsaw

Anyone know what problem i am havin with my ripping chain? Ive been useing short bars 24" for a couple of years, just started using 36" bar on large blackwood log , but having problems,doesnt seem to want to cut.So I tried ripping roughly half way through the log for the full length of the log and then changed to the 36" bar to finish the job which worked fine.But the question is how come i cant rip full width with the 36" bar,pretty weird stuff.Can anyone help THANKS? I use a Stihl ms660 91.5cc chainsaw

How dense is this blackwood? A 36" bar should be easy enough for an 660 to pull. I suspect the problem may be with something other than simply the length of chain. Please provide more info on your setup and pictures if possible.

very timely post' !

last week i did some salvaging. picked up a truckload of aromatic red cedar out in the hamptons ,eastern long island.
on the way back i stopped to see a lady with soem crab apple trees .one was blown over ,about 12-15"dia. . other was at least 15 but split into 12"" trunks about 2feet off the ground. ill cut them down this sunday and post some pics when i get a chance..

i love working with apple. it's gorgeous stuff. it really turns nicely on the lathe too. only thing i noticed is it really likes to warp and crack, but these are a novices experiences,probably wasnt drying it properly...

the cedar also is very fun to turn i'm just finding out!!! put a 3" branch on the lathe last night and made a 17-foot long shaving from it! it is very green/wet.
today i ordered soem anchorseal online to seal up this big stack.

i also make musical instruments. ethnic flutes,mostly native-american style. wood and bamboo.. also starting to make native 8 and 16-sided frame-drums and think i'll try doing other hand drums like djembes,dooumbeks etc.

matthew

Like to see some photos mate

very timely post' !

last week i did some salvaging. picked up a truckload of aromatic red cedar out in the hamptons ,eastern long island.
on the way back i stopped to see a lady with soem crab apple trees .one was blown over ,about 12-15"dia. . other was at least 15 but split into 12"" trunks about 2feet off the ground. ill cut them down this sunday and post some pics when i get a chance..

i love working with apple. it's gorgeous stuff. it really turns nicely on the lathe too. only thing i noticed is it really likes to warp and crack, but these are a novices experiences,probably wasnt drying it properly...

the cedar also is very fun to turn i'm just finding out!!! put a 3" branch on the lathe last night and made a 17-foot long shaving from it! it is very green/wet.
today i ordered soem anchorseal online to seal up this big stack.

i also make musical instruments. ethnic flutes,mostly native-american style. wood and bamboo.. also starting to make native 8 and 16-sided frame-drums and think i'll try doing other hand drums like djembes,dooumbeks etc.

matthew

Hi Matthew Manfred here mate.Yeah id like to see some photos of your settup,timber,instuments. ect. About the timber splitting.A lot of the timber over here,splits flat out.most of the useable timber over here is some form of eucy,theres over 800 species of eucy.But anyway,a lot of the eucy spilts no matter what you do with it.Most eucy has a high growth rate,and a high shrikage rate which causes the splits.Id like do get some fruit trees myself to hack up.

Back