Milling a cherry - 2005

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VT-Woodchuck

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This Black Cherry was struck by lightning in 2004. It was on the property line and when the neighbor died, I quickly removed this defective tree. :blush: Four good logs, one knot. I sawed the logs into cants and then took them to a bandsaw mill - less waste! I will let the pics speak for themselves.

Thanks for sharing the pics. I've been following your threads and like your setup. Right now I am using an Alaskan MKIII. I really do not have the resources as far as big trees on my property to warrant anything better as I had my land logged off before I got the milling bug. It's too bad as 5 loads went out and the money I got from it is long gone!!!

Very nice lookin' cherry cants... you were right in taking them to a bandmill so as to get every last board. I just came back from the first day of my two day Christmas show selling items from my woodshop. For my quilt hangers, or other larger items which sit in somebodies living room or hang on somebodies wall, everybody wants oak or cherry... oak or cherry... oak or cherry. 80% of what I sell in that category is all oak or cherry. I gotta make what sells, but from my perspective it's too bad people don't appreciate some of the other fine hardwoods like ash, elm, butternut, walnut, soft maple. I'm not complaing, it's just the nature of the beast.

Looks like your going to get some nice wide boards out of some of those cants. Perfect for cabinet makers who need those quarter sawn edges. It's always nice when you can salvage something that nice before it's too late.

Ooh, and I hear ya woodshop. Oak and cherry is what I hear requested the most. We pretty much have to take people over to a pile of any other type of lumber to show them there are other nice species. One of the things I enjoy about the trade is seeing what people can make out of this stuff, and it's nice to see a variety instead of the same old things. There are times the guy I work for will give away lumber just to get some of these guys to try something new. Sometimes it's all about educating the public.

Latest posts

Back