Milling Picture Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

U&A

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Wanted to start a thread that is solely for posting any pics you want to share regarding milling.

Pics of logs to be milled, live edge boards, beams, chainsaw mill setup, what you did with your mill for the day.

Any pictures mill related….chainsaw or band saw

4-5 years ago when the Mill Jig and saw we’re brand new. Saw is a 3120xp (Now a 3120XS) that Kevin did a number on and then some.

View attachment 1165365
Cool.

Pete had a supposed mean 3120 he hated and sold it three years ago. Was offered to me for 1k I passed never having seen anything but pics. It was clean too just not my thing.
It turns out not all the early done Terry Landrum 3120s were great or even good.

I was told it was a ten tanks saw from new then sent out and it was never good again. This guy has 30 plus years experience with chainsaws he owned at his woodlot. He likes my offerings so no complaints there. Hope to get my paws in his 1201 Echo built from NOS everything but never modded or used yet.

I do have a complaint about my 660, again. It will break your arm at 33° advanced with a compression change. It's going back to 29 and staying there. The thing just needs to be reasonable to start without a decomp button. Tried the big saw at 32°. It wasn't happy at all. Gasoline is just a limiting factor we live with and basic coils. 461 coil might help both of them. Start retard is nice.

Did you do much with the intake horn and air filter to stop fines on the 3120?20220708_190332.jpg20220708_155121.jpg20220708_155112.jpg20220708_155108.jpg

Thirty foot long tulip poplar bar top

Cool.

Pete had a supposed mean 3120 he hated and sold it three years ago. Was offered to me for 1k I passed never having seen anything but pics. It was clean too just not my thing.
It turns out not all the early done Terry Landrum 3120s were great or even good.

I was told it was a ten tanks saw from new then sent out and it was never good again. This guy has 30 plus years experience with chainsaws he owned at his woodlot. He likes my offerings so no complaints there. Hope to get my paws in his 1201 Echo built from NOS everything but never modded or used yet.

I do have a complaint about my 660, again. It will break your arm at 33° advanced with a compression change. It's going back to 29 and staying there. The thing just needs to be reasonable to start without a decomp button. Tried the big saw at 32°. It wasn't happy at all. Gasoline is just a limiting factor we live with and basic coils. 461 coil might help both of them. Start retard is nice.

Did you do much with the intake horn and air filter to stop fines on the 3120?View attachment 1165372View attachment 1165373View attachment 1165374View attachment 1165375

Thirty foot long tulip poplar bar top
Kevin @huskihl did an amazing job on this saw. He can correct me if Im wrong but I think this 3120 was the first one he did. Sorry if i botched that comment Kevin.

Starts easy, but needs the de-comp!! I hurt my arm really good a few times trying it without the de-comp on accident. Forearm muscles were very bad for 3 weeks.

Now that I learned that lesson and check that the de-comp is on every time it will start super easy. And it is a monster as expected. Full of torque.

Intake is stock

Red Oak. First thing that saw milled. 32” diameter
IMG_6960.jpeg

Resized-20221111-121345-AS.jpg

Resized-20221109-162926-S.jpg

Resized-20221110-140106-S.jpg

Resized-20221110-140116-S.jpg

IMG-1131-S.jpg

1019161455-S.jpg

SR

Kevin @huskihl did an amazing job on this saw. He can correct me if Im wrong but I think this 3120 was the first one he did. Sorry if i botched that comment Kevin.

Starts easy, but needs the de-comp!! I hurt my arm really good a few times trying it without the de-comp on accident. Forearm muscles were very bad for 3 weeks.

Now that I learned that lesson and check that the de-comp is on every time it will start super easy. And it is a monster as expected. Full of torque.

Intake is stock

View attachment 1165397
Could have been? That was a bit ago. That’s a great job to dedicate that saw to👍.
Glad you like it

Could have been? That was a bit ago. That’s a great job to dedicate that saw to👍.
Glad you like it
Its great man. I remember talking to you about using it for milling while you had it.

Thanks again

It has been a while. At least 5 years

These are my first 2 logs I milled,the smaller is a 11" at big end Cedar I cut out of fence line and was still green,the little Stihl 391 did ok.
The 2nd one was to wide at big end for my bar so I trimmed a little off to about 17 inches,it was a chunk from a Cedar I cut out of fence line 12 years ago,I figured it would be rotten but just the bottom that was on ground was getting bad,that was way to much for a mid grade Stihl 391.
I really enjoyed playing with the Granberg mill, I already bought a Stihl 660 lol, next I'll need a bigger Granberg.

Attachments

• KIMG0750.JPG
    KIMG0750.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • KIMG0748.JPG
    KIMG0748.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 0

Intake is stock

View attachment 1165397
He he he.
I had a few backfires on the 084 😱
Starter handles, rope rotors then my hand. Six weeks starting left handed. Took as long as when I broke my right wrist years ago. That was interesting setting the end.

My 660 has no decomp now. It swallowed one last year. Opps installed an AM one and it melted 😆 Need to buy a 3120 and drill it six ways! This thing sucks cold start.

I doubt Kevin was practicing on your saw though. He knew damn right well what what rabbit hole he chose to go down before ever buying any tools I'm sure. At least he had no presumptions or bad habits to work around. Almost every mechanic I've ever met or engine builder is bias by what to do based on so and so said or that's how my grandpa "name here" did it 😕 😞 is my normal response. He got none of the, this is how you should do it, bs, because most of us have our own shop for small engine work. I was cursed with that stuff growing up around others and car guys or toys or dirt bikes. Because Bob said, the book says, my uncle always.... and so on and so forth. Elimination of most of that noise definitely helps sort what works and what doesn't. Test test tests and test again. That point seems to be moot in most people's mind now. They think a computer doing simple math somehow negates that need to test. It was our only way to know how something reacts in the real 🌎 1970s or 80s where we acually lived. That will never change among the best builders.
Dynos are nice for tuning if you have a setup but not much good in the real world, facts. Asked anyone who builds "usable" stuff not trailer queens. Getting to see changes on them is priceless if you follow the rule one change at time not three or two. Good tool but not the test bed most have going on in the real world.

Just fishing altering the fuel circuit on a 2186. Impulse system was strengthen and the pump arm was adjusted. Hopefully the spring can stay stock. It's looking at real 36" bar in 3/8 063. Doubt these were ever right from the factory on the fuel circuit. Kelvin would definitely have better info on that.
This is my first one and sadly the likelihood is the last one to ever come here. The elbow inlet is a joke based on the shape inside. They are mostly gone from daily use now and this saw is clean. Just came off a decade hyatis. Slated to eat hardwoods for splitting. Piston was nice but the rings were goo'dup and stuck somewhat. Rings were torched. Came in a box apart. Considered tring a 42" bar on it. The oil pump seems capable.

You ever run these saws?

Latest posts

Back