Milling Picture Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pricing is tough. It seems if I price them cheaper people actually spend more. I make more money on the 12” or less ones than anything. Its alll them “showers”. Using them for center pc’s. Ill sell 10-30 of the 12” or less ones at a time for $3 each and be happy.

I just use limb wood from any trees that fall in my woods. I keep a good 100+ of them posted for sale all the time
Yeah, that makes sense, the wedding/shower market seems to constantly demand those. Hell, I see them being sold after people are done with them so cheap I feel like picking them up to resell all over again and save myself the work of milling any. Near perfect rounds do seem to be the more common ones I see. Wondered about the larger ones. Like slabs, people don't want to value any single piece all that much unless it's extraordinary but they'll spend as much or more money getting a bunch of smaller pieces. I think with 30"+ ones people aren't that interested til you get to 60" or so where you can make a nice dining table from one. I've made nice finished out pecan cookie coffee tables 30-32" wide by 4" thick and hasn't been a nibble at any at the prices I want. My sister told me "oh, that's nice you can sell them for like $300-400 as something affordable" and I'm like "you do realize I don't sell any of my tables no matter what size for much less than $600 these days". I'm not here competing with Walmart furniture lol.

pecanround5-2.jpeg

Yeah, that makes sense, the wedding/shower market seems to constantly demand those. Hell, I see them being sold after people are done with them so cheap I feel like picking them up to resell all over again and save myself the work of milling any. Near perfect rounds do seem to be the more common ones I see. Wondered about the larger ones. Like slabs, people don't want to value any single piece all that much unless it's extraordinary but they'll spend as much or more money getting a bunch of smaller pieces. I think with 30"+ ones people aren't that interested til you get to 60" or so where you can make a nice dining table from one. I've made nice finished out pecan cookie coffee tables 30-32" wide by 4" thick and hasn't been a nibble at any at the prices I want. My sister told me "oh, that's nice you can sell them for like $300-400 as something affordable" and I'm like "you do realize I don't sell any of my tables no matter what size for much less than $600 these days". I'm not here competing with Walmart furniture lol.

View attachment 1176313

Good info. I’m learning as I go with this new business. It’s exciting for me to finally do something for a living that I enjoy so much. It doesn’t feel like work.

All Air dried, mill finish. Cut anywhere from 2”-3” thick

seems 10”-12” sell the most for baby shower people and wedding showers and such. They come and buy 10-30 at a time.

12”-20” dont sell as fast but obviously sell for more.

For some reason the bigger ones dont sell for me. At least right now. Im sayin 30” +. They seem to sit for a long time.

I am learning that most people either want them as close to perfectly round as possible OR the opposite, crazy shaped. Nobody is hardly interested in the egg shaped/oval ones.

Pricing is tough. It seems if I price them cheaper people actually spend more. I make more money on the 12” or less ones than anything. Its alll them “showers”. Using them for center pc’s. Ill sell 10-30 of the 12” or less ones at a time for $3 each and be happy.

I just use limb wood from any trees that fall in my woods. I keep a good 100+ of them posted for sale all the time
What about cracks?

What about cracks?
They crack. Some anyway. Maybe 1/4 of them max end up waste it seems. Im new tho. Just off my limited experience selling wood cut different directions.

Ya know. This milling and wood cutting thing is like Mexican food. Dont get me wrong i LOVE Mexican. Its just the same ingredients done differently.

They crack. Some anyway. Maybe 1/4 of them max end up waste it seems. Im new tho. Just off my limited experience selling wood cut different directions.

Ya know. This milling and wood cutting thing is like Mexican food. Dont get me wrong i LOVE Mexican. Its just the same ingredients done differently.
Do people buy the cracked ones? My limited experience is every cookie I've tried to dry, cracks.

And this was mid week. 8’ long 30” on the small end

IMG_3155.jpegIMG_3159.jpegIMG_3173.jpegIMG_3175.jpegIMG_3168.jpegIMG_3173.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3176.jpeg
    IMG_3176.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3174.jpeg
    IMG_3174.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 0
Do you sell those boards or make something for yourself out of them. I don't think they'd sell around here (big city). Everyone is into ikea, wayfair and painted white cabinets. Real wood and rustic wood is out-dated.
They sell as is. Rough cut. Eventually ill get my own dryer and then a planer. For now I sell it all rough cut

Back