Milling question?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thompson1600

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Wondering whether an 066 with it's higher RPM rated horsepower is "better" for milling, or whether something like an older 051 or 076 with more torque would be "better"? Anyone used the older saws and new ones on an Alaskan type mill to compare which type works better?

Thanks

Tom

I use an 066, it works fine as long as the chain is sharp and the bar is well oiled. I find also that I have to grind the bar flat/even and squeeze the rails together to keep the chain from moving from side to side to much. Everything has to be in good shape to saw ten or twelve feet without it binding. I use an alaskan mill. I hope that this helps a little.

I bought an 066 over the other choices...

Although it doesn't have the torque of the 075 I was looking at, it also weighs significantly less, and has adequate power for the stuff I've done to date. Sure, more would be better, but, I often have a bit of a hike to get to the log, and the 075 was just too clunky for my situation.

I haven't used anything but the 066 on my Alaskan, but have been quite satisfied with the choice. Of course, I only mill 4-500 board feet a year. Not that I don't lust after an 088, I just don't want to carry that hoss around.

I haven't had the spreading problem, but my bar is on its last legs, it was well used when I got it, and will be replaced when my ripping chains start looking stressed out, if not before.

Does the chain become dull faster when milling compared to sawing up firewood? My grandfather always warned me not to cut that way because it would trash the chain.

MarylandGuy said:
Does the chain become dull faster when milling compared to sawing up firewood? My grandfather always warned me not to cut that way because it would trash the chain.
Welcome to the forum Maryland.

No it won't necessarily "trash the chain", its just a different kind of cut, requiring differently filed chain. You need a sharp chain when milling, can't get away with anything less. It is much harder on your saw though, to rip wood rather than crosscut it. That's why you need a powerful saw for milling.

Dave

I have never milled per say, but I have ripped my share of big logs so they can handled before splitting into firewood, also have made a few benches. I have both a 66 and 76, prefer the 76 for rip work because of the torque it has, plus it has a manuel oiler when the going gets tough. I also have an 88, it will walk all over a 76 as far as speed, but I just don't like using it for rip type cutting because it doesn't have a manuel oiler on it, weight is also another factor between the two saws.

I seem to get the most work done for the amount of effort put forth in doing rip cutting with a 76, than any other saw I have.

Larry

Latest posts

Back