Wood splitter replacement pump?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doesleap

Reaction score
I purchased a used wood splitter a few years back and it needs a new hydraulic pump. The splitter is powered with a Honda GX390 and a flywheel. I believe the flywheel takes the place of a 2-stage pump.

Questions:
  1. Do I need a 1 or 2-stage pump for this splitter?
  2. It currently has a pump rated for 16 gpm. Can I increase this to 20 gpm (or higher) for better performance?
  3. Any suggestions on a pump make and manufacturer?
Thanks in advance for any and all input.IMG_5613.jpgIMG_5683.jpg

I purchased a used wood splitter a few years back and it needs a new hydraulic pump. The splitter is powered with a Honda GX390 and a flywheel. I believe the flywheel takes the place of a 2-stage pump.

Questions:
  1. Do I need a 1 or 2-stage pump for this splitter?
Unless I'm missing something, single stage pump.
  1. It currently has a pump rated for 16 gpm. Can I increase this to 20 gpm (or higher) for better performance?
You'll get more speed, but you'll sacrifice splitting force.
  1. Any suggestions on a pump make and manufacturer?
Probably dozens of mfrs of this type of pump. In order to replace the pump without doing other modifications you need to know the displacement, mount style, shaft specs and port size and type. If there is an ID label from the pump manufacture the p/n will probably contain all this info, assuming the splitter mfr hasn't applied their own number to encourage you buy from them. You can either go back to the pump mfr and order with their p/n; or decode the p/n using the mfrs catalog; or measure the pump so you can generate a p/n from another mfr.

Catalogs with good dimensional info from one manufacturer I've used here:
https://www.geartek.com/#xl_anchor_about
The only other time I remember seeing a flywheel on a hydraulic pump drive was on an Italian die cutting press.

It's almost certainly a 2 stage pump, a gx390 doesn't have near the power to run a full of 16 gpm pump at any real pressure, extra flywheel or not. Usually a 2 stage pump jumps up to 22gpm. Most 22 gpm pumps would at minimum need 12hp engine, so slightly more then a gx 390 is rated for. You may get by depending on what your relief pressure is set at.
Still need to know mount style, input shaft size is less important as the love joy couppler size needed is easily obtained from about anywhere that sells hydraulic equipment.

A Gx390 is rated for 13hp and handles a 22gpm nicely on my splitter. Sean might be mixed up with the gx340 which is only rated for 11hp.

If you are looking for a cheaper option that is decent Buchner Wuxi is a good option. It’s a German company that manufactures in china. The county line brand of splitters at Tractor Supply use them. This is a “18.5” gpm pump that I have been eyeing up for my smaller splitter.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydra...ty-Hand-Tools-Log-Splitter-107134-9-12877.axd

It's almost certainly a 2 stage pump, a gx390 doesn't have near the power to run a full of 16 gpm pump at any real pressure, extra flywheel or not. Usually a 2 stage pump jumps up to 22gpm. Most 22 gpm pumps would at minimum need 12hp engine, so slightly more then a gx 390 is rated for. You may get by depending on what your relief pressure is set at.
Still need to know mount style, input shaft size is less important as the love joy couppler size needed is easily obtained from about anywhere that sells hydraulic equipment.
I expect you're right. The flywheel worked well on that press I mentioned where the demand for high pressure was short and predictable. Pushing thru a gnarly piece of wood is very different.

Unless I'm missing something, single stage pump.

You'll get more speed, but you'll sacrifice splitting force.

Probably dozens of mfrs of this type of pump. In order to replace the pump without doing other modifications you need to know the displacement, mount style, shaft specs and port size and type. If there is an ID label from the pump manufacture the p/n will probably contain all this info, assuming the splitter mfr hasn't applied their own number to encourage you buy from them. You can either go back to the pump mfr and order with their p/n; or decode the p/n using the mfrs catalog; or measure the pump so you can generate a p/n from another mfr.

Catalogs with good dimensional info from one manufacturer I've used here:
https://www.geartek.com/#xl_anchor_about
The only other time I remember seeing a flywheel on a hydraulic pump drive was on an Italian die cutting press.

A Gx390 is rated for 13hp and handles a 22gpm nicely on my splitter. Sean might be mixed up with the gx340 which is only rated for 11hp.

If you are looking for a cheaper option that is decent Buchner Wuxi is a good option. It’s a German company that manufactures in china. The county line brand of splitters at Tractor Supply use them. This is a “18.5” gpm pump that I have been eyeing up for my smaller splitter.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydra...ty-Hand-Tools-Log-Splitter-107134-9-12877.axd
https://www.honda-engines-eu.com/en/products/engines/gx390
I looked it up, net power listed at 11.7hp @3600 and max Continuous as 9.4 hp @3600 rpm. Possibly the 13hp was the old sae rating, since that lawsuite however many years ago now? Anyway, if it works thays great.

https://www.honda-engines-eu.com/en/products/engines/gx390
I looked it up, net power listed at 11.7hp @3600 and max Continuous as 9.4 hp @3600 rpm. Possibly the 13hp was the old sae rating, since that lawsuite however many years ago now? Anyway, if it works thays great.
That would make sense. Its listed as 13hp on the equipment I’ve seen it advertised on, but I know manufacturers all fudge the numbers. It works well with a 22gpm pump for sure, never had issues with the power. Hydraulic oil gets hot but that’s manageable.

Latest posts

Back