Milling side boards today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Railomatic

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was down at the local estate yard today, bought some Sitka spruce for a job , made some tapered side boards, 5/8" X 1/4" 18 inches deep for a summer house I'm building.
Timber was a little frozen but I got the whole lot done with only one blade change.

Sure is a lot of logs, most of what you se there will be gone very soon for bio-mass heating, chiped up and burned for heating the offices on the estate,

You can get this stuff real cheap, its going for a song, brings about 20 dollars a ton, si I go and get the larger butts for making tapered side boards, they look and fit real nicely on the outside of period wooden barns and houses.

I normally treat them with a water based wood stained to stop them from rotting, I do this just before they dry out.

I built a tank so I can dunk mine and get the amount of soak I want. I prefer oil, maybe superstitiously, but it seems it ought to be more waterproof. After dunking, I put them on edge across some bunks to dry. Did 500 pieces for the house.

Back