Milling the hard way....okay, maybe I'm lying?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDB777

I find unique timber and cut it up
Reaction score
Milling the hard way....okay, the log was already on the mill bunk. All I had to do was make sure it was firmly locked into place, and then put the band on the wheels. Didn't do a whole lot, I knew I had to be functional for the rest of the week at the 'real job'....was a little sore from hauling logs the other day. The mill? It's the one in my signature thingy below...WoodMizer LT-10 w/10Hp upgraded motor, and using every bit of it in this hard-azz wood. These logs have been on the ground since spring/summer of 2010, I picked them up in the fall of 2011....good thing happen to log let laying on the ground. These bug were still trying to chew on the bark, but no making much progress into the sapwood(guess they need sharper teeth)!

Some Pignut Hickory(Carya glabra) for you viewing pleasure! Start with the group shot, everything leaning against the dog-pen fencing(to give you an idea, the fence is 45in tall and each wire 'square' is 3in x 3in)

Bookmatching photo's that will be posted in my website. Had a difficult time giving these a proper description, and drew a mind fart trying to think of stuff to make out of them(got the table top, gun cabinet back, but I know I'm missing something important)....any ideas?

And just some random close-up's showing off some super grain! Be a shame to have to chop these into pen blanks....but I only have some much room!

Anyway, I can see some really nice stuff still remaining on the log, oh yes....there is more! I turned the log on it's other side and decided not to do anymore for today. Cleaned up the 'stack-o-dust' that has been growing left to the 'exhaust hole' on the mill(yup, almost a foot tall, good thing the kerf is only 1mm)!

Thanks for looking, didn't shoot any video, had some wind blowing and figured noone wanted to hear a 'whistling' in the video(that and I don't know how to imbed music into the video instead of engine noise). I'll probably find some more close-up photo's to post once I have the rest of the card downloaded.....stay tuned!

Scott (I'm only as old as I feel) B

It looks like you hit a jackpot there, the character in those slabs is amazing! Way to go!! Can you show a picture of the log before it was cut, also is the wood solid throughout? I'm drooling :rock:

If you go to my website and click on the tab Milling Information you will see my old azz sitting on the log that was cut. Other then that I would have to put the pieces back together.

Scott (they are sweet) B

Outstanding! Are they all going to be turned into pen blanks, or is there a table top in there somewhere? Nice to see the hickory going for something other than firewood and smoking meat. Got more logs on the deck?

I've seen some beautiful hickory cabinets, and have hickory flooring in my house. A friend of mine has a shagbark hickory blowdown destined to become "smoking wood", so I may be able to talk him out of a buttlog or crotch.

I've seen some beautiful hickory cabinets, and have hickory flooring in my house. A friend of mine has a shagbark hickory blowdown destined to become "smoking wood", so I may be able to talk him out of a buttlog or crotch.

Just be careful how you ask.:laugh:

Nice slabs ! ! !

Wow SDB777, that's a lot of spectacular character. I don't know how thick they are but they look like they would make some beautiful bar tops if you join those bookmatches up. I don't know what hickory normally looks like but that stuff looks like a nice mix of grain, heartwood and maybe spalting to. I hope you post up and show us what you wind up making out of it. It looks like it's going to be a little bit of a challenge but should be well worth it.

Old Blue
With limitless taxation, to infinity and beyond!!! In.......
Kali-bone-ya

Outstanding! Are they all going to be turned into pen blanks, or is there a table top in there somewhere? Nice to see the hickory going for something other than firewood and smoking meat. Got more logs on the deck?

These were on the website for maybe a day and a half? Got a fella driving up from Mississippi to get all of them, plus the fireplace mantle I had posted as well! Probably just pen blank the first slices that I take off the mill with this wood, just too purty to do anything else with it(at least that is what is going through my head)! Besides, those pieces will have the most spalting in them....figure about $50 a boardfoot in pen blanks(that's hard to shake a stick at for scrap)

Definitely talk him out of burning all of it, but it did take almost two years of Arkansas weather to assist in making these look like this!

Wow SDB777, that's a lot of spectacular character. I don't know how thick they are but they look like they would make some beautiful bar tops if you join those bookmatches up. I don't know what hickory normally looks like but that stuff looks like a nice mix of grain, heartwood and maybe spalting to. I hope you post up and show us what you wind up making out of it. It looks like it's going to be a little bit of a challenge but should be well worth it.

Old Blue
With limitless taxation, to infinity and beyond!!! In.......
Kali-bone-ya

I'm hoping to see some photo's from the fella getting these? I always ask the people purchasing timber I cut to remember me when they make something, just so I can see what happens to the 'children' after the divorce. Seldom see anything though....heartbreaking.

Just be careful how you ask.:laugh:

I had the same thought:msp_w00t:

Scott (gotta cut the other three log chunks) B

Thought I would show you what happens to them first slabs from a log(at least for me), as it usually has more spalting then the deeper parts of these logs. Sometime I get crosscut pieces, sometimes I don't bother and just trim them straight....these are crosscut!

A couple photo's for your viewing pleasure!

Scott (I thunk it.....once) B

You should leave pics up on your site of wood that you have already sold. Shows what you have had and might have similar in the future. Might get a lot of saved favorites for people to come back and visit again later. Sure some pretty looking stuff you have there.

Latest posts

Back