Milling the plan or not?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
i have a few husky 2100’s. I have two large ash trees the ash bore got too. I’m not sure what lumber mill I want or need. Do I need twin power heads? I’m thinking a 50” to 60” bar. Should I purchase a mill or build one? I have plenty of steel sitting here. I have no experience at milling.
I plan on hiring someone to drop the trees in my lot. There too close to houses and power lines. Then I plan on milling them. What are your thoughts.?

I’d like to make a new kitchen set and living room furniture from the wood.

i have a few husky 2100’s. I have two large ash trees the ash bore got too. I’m not sure what lumber mill I want or need. Do I need twin power heads? I’m thinking a 50” to 60” bar. Should I purchase a mill or build one? I have plenty of steel sitting here. I have no experience at milling.
I plan on hiring someone to drop the trees in my lot. There too close to houses and power lines. Then I plan on milling them. What are your thoughts.?

I’d like to make a new kitchen set and living room furniture from the wood.
2 1/2 years ago I was gifted a healthy ash log. My avatar shows the last slice off the stump. Log was just a few over 7 feet x 38" diameter. With a 42" bar in an Alaskan milling frame we got 14 slices of varying thickness. I used a section off extension ladder for a guide rail set up. A Ms-460 was used.20190506_125814.jpg
While not in use on this recent Maple in the pic there is a quarter inch hole drilled in center of outboard sprocket. With an aluminum 1" square d&t for 1/4-20 2" of wider cut is gained on any length bar. The 3 most important things to do well is sharpening & matching raker height, 2) make sure the depth quages are matched to the power head and razor sharp cutters, 3). Practice sharpening those cutters so the rakers can be a little lower.
This a far less quality than usual 4 me. 1st time since the ash that the 5 foot bar was needed and 3 cuts hit metal before these 4 slices chose to allow me to learn router planeing for surface.20190515_134709.jpg
661c powerhead on 60" cannon bar in the Alaskan frame with the previously mentioned d&t aluminum ■ in the outboard upright. Less expensive, and more suited to your use, if you chose ,is fabbing your own frame.
That ash will need to be harvested and milled kinda quick. It needs to be commercially kiln dried to kill them critters. My reading says the ash doesn't take too long to get unusable. Check with your state forestry agencies for better advice than I can offer on the wood use. Also Ash is easier to cut than white oak for example similar to the maple in the pics. Razor Sharpened cutter are most important:chop:
Enjoy milling safely

I just purchased a 42” bar which is probably too short.

My ash trees could be firewood. They still have some leaves but don’t look healthy.

Latest posts

Back