milling walnut continued

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodshop

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
walnut6.jpg

walnut7.jpg

now ready for the Ripsaw to slice into lumber
walnut8.jpg

walnut9.jpg

the BUSINESS end of the Ripsaw...
walnut10.jpg

Looks great Woodshop. It has been slow, thanks for the pics to liven things up. The walnut looks beautifull. How about some pics of the boards. I hope to start on my ash today. 60+ degrees here. Unbelieveable.

stihlatit said:
Awesome pics Woodshop. What make is that attachment and do you have any more pics of it not in the wood. Thx.
If you are talking about that aluminum guide bar, it comes with the Ripsaw bandmill, but you can buy it separately from Ripsaw (www.ripsaw.com). They come in 5 ft sections that easily connect to one another. They are a little pricey, but they work well and are very easy to connect to the log via two pins you tack into the end of the log, as seen in the pic. If you search either Ripsaw or woodshop, you will find other pics of that aluminum guide bar in action.

Super Miller

What's the story on the trunk, where, who, wow. Very exciting. Where's the boards? That is going to be a lot of lumber. Off to the lumber yard or going to panel a room in your house? Nice show woodshop keep um coming.:clap:

Ok, got you over on the other walnut thread. "Milling Walnut" and "Milling Walnut cont". Answered my question over there. Thanks, Dave

Last edited:
Adrpk said:
Off to the lumber yard or going to panel a room in your house?
No plans to panel any rooms in walnut. This walnut will be used in my woodshop for things like this Shaker side table. I made this one out of oak, but I plan on making them out of ash, cherry, walnut, silver maple and catalpa.
shaker1.jpg

As we speak I'm cleaning up this stack of walnut and stickering this stuff. Hopefully by June or so at least the 5/4 will be dry to 20% MC and I can un-sticker and make room for more trees I have on the back burner waiting for room.

Cool pics... woodshop. As always im impressed. I would love to see a ripsaw in my future. Great job.:cheers:

Super posts, Woodshop
The envy level is pretty high! Don't you just love these gifts? A tree someone else mught have burned up will make you excellent woodworking material. My 066 is awaiting repairs so I think I'm done for the winter(?) Keep up the great pics!

VT-Woodchuck said:
Don't you just love these gifts? A tree someone else mught have burned up will make you excellent woodworking material.
I do, I appreciate the wood, and I like when it's a win-win situating and both tree owner and myself walk away happy about it. Unfortunately, I currently lack the time for all the logs I have been given in just the past 3 months. Some are down on the ground now and need to be taken care of before next spring when they will start to rot. Others are still standing and need to be dropped. There is a dying ash in the woods at the Bowman farm where I got the walnut that needs to come down. However, it's around 4ft dbh and looks like it goes a good 50 ft till the first branch. Even including my stint as a logger for a pulpwood company years ago, I have never felled a tree that massive. My 36 inch 395XP should handle it. There is potentially several thousand bd ft of ash in that thing. Kinda like that big tree ianab posted about not too long ago.

Thanks for posting the pictures Woodshop, really enjoyed seeing that rooster tail in the third picture :D .

Finally got around to building a set of those ripsaw sawhorses, still need to get the aluminum bar's made/installed. I made one of them a little longer so they will stack, should come in handy.

What was causing the problems with the 395?

flht01 said:
Finally got around to building a set of those ripsaw sawhorses, still need to get the aluminum bar's made/installed. I made one of them a little longer so they will stack, should come in handy.
Good idea, I have toyed with altering that set I made so they would stack nicely. It wouldn't take much, but its taking the time to putz around doing that.

My 395 is working fine, use it almost solely for milling. Once in a while I run into a very big tree that my 28 inch 365 would be a little on the anemic side for, and I take it off the Alaskan and put the dogs on it.

Back