Milling waste for firewood bundles?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenbay

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just wondering what you milling guys thought of using the waste from milling to cut up into 1 Cubic foot bundles for selling at gas stations etc..... I know there is a lot of bark on the waste pieces, but it seems better than some of the stuff that sells around here in those $5 bundles.

I'm sure it's possible as Camp wood etc.. I use mine for kindling for my cookstove in the winter.:cheers:

Edgings from boards make good tomato sticks. I save the ones from cherry as the heartwood has some rot resistance.

As Steve mentioned, makes good kindling. You'd have to be close to a city-slicker market to get someone to buy a cu ft for $5, then they'd complain it's not "matchlight".

Edit: if the fools know what a match is, "lighterlight"

Last edited:
I stack mine in log length, up to 12’ (over 12’ I cut in half) on stickers, building a tight stack as tall as I find stable, then band it. Depending on what kind of wood how much wood ect. I paint a price on it from $5.00 - $20.00 ($20.00 is a full size pick up load of good hardwood edgings) This allows me to move, and load the edgings with the forklift and people looking for firewood can pick out the quality and quantity that they want. If they want it cut into firewood lengths I set the bundle on a series 8x8’s that I have laid out for this and cut the edgings while still bundled, and charge an additional $10.00, they load after I am done.

I also keep some smaller bundles of hardwoods 3x3x3 banded up for the weekend campers headed to the coast. I sell these for $10.00 each.

Back