Mini Apple Tree ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Wright

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have an apple tree i have been cutting down for the last 15 years. 2 years ago i let it grow, now its 15 feet high and only 4 feet around. Its covered in tiny red apples about an inch around. No thorns so i don't think its a crabapple. Just wondering what it is. Thanks...Bob

mini apple?

Crabapple? Thorns?? Apples and crabapples don't have thorns - they have fruiting spurs that often FEEL like thorns, but aren't. Anyway, yes, it's some variety of crabapple, not a Dolgo which has larger, more egg-shaped, darker red fruit. They all make good jam and jellies, and the bigger they are, the easier they are to pick. If these are an inch around, they're pretty small and probably not worth picking, but the birds should love 'em after a frost or two. Here, the cedar waxwings totally strip my trees in 2 or 3 days.

Why have you been cutting it down for so long?

Last edited:
You are likely growing the understock. Most probably one in the Malling or the Malling-Merton series. Until recently these were the predominant understock used in the production of apple trees.

Kate Butler said:
Why have you been cutting it down for so long?
The tree is growing right out of the house foundation. I talked to my son about moving it to his yard. I will transplant it after the frost hits. Thanks...Bob

Latest posts

Back