mini, skid, or articulated loader.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Height and lenght out...not much. Height is based on your hinge pin height. Grapple is only about 1.5' out from the hitch plate.

But with forks you can't do this
66bdd98337a6a46ad746c71eb130fbb1.jpg

You can somewhat reach higher with the bmg...and let the piece of wood fall into place. I have 2 videos showing me stacking wood [or loading trailer) where you can see stacking up pretty high. I'll see if I can find a picture.

How much reach does a Bmg grapple have over a set of forks, heigth and length out?
I have s dingo 425 that I think is just barely going to reach over the dump bed trailer I just bought.
I know I need the Bmg, just wanting to know in Adnvance the reach advantages.
Thx.
Ok some specs and pictures from my mini

Hinge pin is at 79" on my mini

Top of log in grapple 86" (level)
Hinge pin to max reach grapple 35" (tilted out)
de8999fa6df842904c302e3097fea3d6.jpg

Top of pallet fork (bottom of log) 75"
Hinge pin to tip of pallet 41"
20daa7da80e49a5b640a3e71ffaf100e.jpg

Ways to go higher with bmg:

Level log at 72"
9f32e1d67bd57eb741637383854ee50c.jpg

Long logs tipped up: 100" high at 12" out from grapple. Basically get as much as you can over the pile, or trailer, then release...sometimes slow...sometimes fast. Then push the log the rest of the way in. Works best if heavy end of log is away from the mini...stays on pile better. I may have the log lifted to much in this picture.
d0ddaada9493fd9f0596dcab74310776.jpg

Big logs, but short, at 83" (bottom of log). Just slowly open grapple and let it roll out into the trailer
ea73652782ce3d59550d789e3cd0d683.jpg

just curious how you guys move the mini's around. I picked up a 650 last year with Vermeer grapple and a grinder head; and have been towing it around with a f550 dump truck. I debated trying to get it behind the cab of the f550 {I kind of like the dump truck for loading logs which has stopped its planned conversion to chip truck for now}, or a f450 chip truck, but as there both short wheel base 4x4 for getting around tighter places , I decided the loss of chips isn't worth it. ] I was hoping to to get to two person crews with the machine being the 3rd guy. So far hasn't panned out as its bit of a pita to drive park organize etc two trucks [or three if bucket needed]. I just bought a 14000 lb dump trailer haven't got it yet but I wonder that would fill in for the dump truck allowing its conversion to a chip truck. I would like a cab over but not seen a lot with 4x4: but it seems like getting it on truck behind cab of a cabover might be best solution. any thoughts appreciated.

just curious how you guys move the mini's around. I picked up a 650 last year with Vermeer grapple and a grinder head; and have been towing it around with a f550 dump truck. I debated trying to get it behind the cab of the f550 {I kind of like the dump truck for loading logs which has stopped its planned conversion to chip truck for now}, or a f450 chip truck, but as there both short wheel base 4x4 for getting around tighter places , I decided the loss of chips isn't worth it. ] I was hoping to to get to two person crews with the machine being the 3rd guy. So far hasn't panned out as its bit of a pita to drive park organize etc two trucks [or three if bucket needed]. I just bought a 14000 lb dump trailer haven't got it yet but I wonder that would fill in for the dump truck allowing its conversion to a chip truck. I would like a cab over but not seen a lot with 4x4: but it seems like getting it on truck behind cab of a cabover might be best solution. any thoughts appreciated.
My old truck (Isuzu nqr with a 9' arbortech). It was a great truck, but under powered for some of the hills I deal with. I was constantly over heating the tranny.
3702755d344e361ea92699da8003b301.jpg

My new truck (international 4300 with a 11' arbortech). Luv the bigger chip capacity, and better power/stronger built. I still can't back up a hill fully loaded, pushing chipper, though. Doesn't have the turn radius of the cabover, but it isn't to bad. The lenght probably gets me in more trouble then anything. Also it does surprisingly well in the snow.
a01e81eb5a225387eb05edf551c9c3bd.jpg

I run a 2 man crew...and my employee doesn't have and license...yet. This is a great way to have everything on one vehicle. I usually go back to get the wood and stump myself, using a 12' dump trailer... and with the mini it doesn't take long. I don't need to leave room on the trailer, for the mini, I can fill it up with wood or grindings. So worse case scenerio I only have to go back for the grinder (vermeer sc60tx) after dumping the grindings. Under the platform I plan on installing a 4' box on one side, and on the other side will be a 4' bucket for the mini.

c63c1c533a097e31ce87885732893143.jpg

89ae192ac55ade83c649f1003fb618cc.jpg

Thats a kewl set up truck. Plywood storage, sqeezin the mini in etc...nice.
Your mini hinge pin hth being 79", is the biggest advantage Im losing w my 425 hth only being 65"...thats quite a difference. I just latched on to the dump bed trailer last weekend and havnt had a chance to see exactly where im at yet as far as being able to reach in good w logs, w only forks. Whats been the concensus on best place to buy a bmg for the money?
Is that a broom attachment you use w your mini, on the truck behind the cab?
Im thinking about buying/building a rake attachment of some sort. Anybody use soemthing like these to faster rake a yard(mainly dead smaller twigs/branches), or does everyone just handrake? Looks like the rockrake might leave unwanted grooves though.
CMP-ZLT-5.jpg
48848_2000x2000.jpg

Thats a kewl set up truck. Plywood storage, sqeezin the mini in etc...nice.
Your mini hinge pin hth being 79", is the biggest advantage Im losing w my 425 hth only being 65"...thats quite a difference. I just latched on to the dump bed trailer last weekend and havnt had a chance to see exactly where im at yet as far as being able to reach in good w logs, w only forks. Whats been the concensus on best place to buy a bmg for the money?
Is that a broom attachment you use w your mini, on the truck behind the cab?
Im thinking about buying/building a rake attachment of some sort. Anybody use soemthing like these to faster rake a yard(mainly dead smaller twigs/branches), or does everyone just handrake? Looks like the rockrake might leave unwanted grooves though.
CMP-ZLT-5.jpg
48848_2000x2000.jpg

Used bmg are hard to find...and get snapped up quickly. I got mine new from http://www.topnotchequipment.com with all the attachments for it (scoops and rake). Another good place is:
http://compactequipmentstore.com

Here is one of my videos using the rake for brush, I have another using it as a plow in snow.

Interesting video. What happens with that mangy little pile of logs? Do you have a grapple (log) truck, or rent one? Dump trailer? Just curious how other people do things.

Interesting video. What happens with that mangy little pile of logs? Do you have a grapple (log) truck, or rent one? Dump trailer? Just curious how other people do things.
The logs were all over 6" in diameter. Those I came back with a dump trailer, and hauled them to a farmer with a outdoor burner.

The twiggy stuff I pushed together with the rake was mostly chipped...till I had more snow than twigs. What was left there, was loaded with the bmg scoops onto the trailer and hauled to a burn pile. In none winter, it all gets chipped...I just didn't want to waste time sorting it. .

Just curious how u loaded the large trunk on this tree? Saw short lengths and load w forks?

That broom attach $800...wow, the Bmg w that sure doesn't come cheap

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 19
Just curious how u loaded the large trunk on this tree? Saw short lengths and load w forks?

On this particular job, the college took care of the wood. Typically though something this size would be cut to around 16 " lenghts (cookies), then loaded with forks.

I'm pretty sure there is a discount if you get everything, plus maybe other discounts available. It was worth it for me...especially snow wise.

I'd have to check to be sure, but I think the bmg and all the attachments were still less money than the Vermeer non power grapple...and the power Ryan grapple.

$2500 for the bmg alone. i may have to go with a 34" grapple rake or root grapple for about $975 for now.

$2500 for the bmg alone. i may have to go with a 34" grapple rake or root grapple for about $975 for now.
I agree they aren't cheap....and for the amount of material in it the bmg is toi pricey. I'd love to know their actual cost to produce one.

But all in all, it paid for itself easily in the first month, compared to forks...at least for me. (No actual data on this...and not all in literal money, some physical strain counted]

I would base your decision, mini vs articulating loader, on the type of terrain you're working on. If you work on a lot of hills or rough/uneven terrain, a mini is better. If you're on flat ground all the time and have lots of access on your jobs, the loader will outperform the mini.

Back