Minus 34c and 50 mph wind ... its bad!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
my boiler is working good and I am warm.
this weather is leaving people straded on the highway and some homes with furnace problems are being deserted .
my friend is a semi mechanic and he had 67 frozen trucks today !! cars and trucks that are plugged in wont start and its a ghost town as no one is going out unless they have to.
the minus 34c is bad but the wind is what is killing us .
my pail of deep fryer oil shattered when I hit it with the ax...:jawdrop:

I am glad I have wood and a heated shop to keep the car warm.

this sucks

I hear ya man. I am just across the border from you. Might be the coldest environment I have ever been in. Working is pointless and not much gets done in this kind of temps.

Its -8F here and 50 MpH winds. We just got 6 inches of snow, and my buddys car was stuck and I had to pull him off a side road after we were drinking till 3 AM! :buttkick: All is safe now..........

-35°C (windchill -49°C)

The school put an announcement on the radio that school was optional today. Guess what my girls chose? ..... just like their dad! lol

On a more somber note - my diesel wouldn't start this morning. :(

Guess I'll have to call the wife to come and rescue me! :D

Its -8F here and 50 MpH winds. We just got 6 inches of snow, and my buddys car was stuck and I had to pull him off a side road after we were drinking till 3 AM! :buttkick: All is safe now..........

drinking and driving?

Cold here tooooooooo

It is -30C and with the wind it feels more like -50C this morning here in Nolalu. Some of the roosters we have will loose their combs to frostbite.

Drove my wife to work at the Whitefish Store this morning and saw a B I G wolf running down the road with the wind up its skirt. As soon as it heard the car it ran into the bush and disappeared. Must be awful cold for those creatures today.

Staying inside and "making love" to the woodstove all day :)))
:heart:

Its pretty balmy here, only -20F wind chill. There were some 60mph winds knocking out power but not mine. This is my first year with wood heat and days like this make all the work worthwhile. In my old house I had to keep the thermostat at 65 just to keep my heating bills under $250 a month.

Now its 74 in here and my asthma is the best its been in three years. Love that hot water heat

-33 C.

Coldest here this winter has been -33 C. but without much wind plus I'd down in a sheltered valley surrounded by balsam and pines. I consider it a victory every day I don't have to start a car and try to go somewhere.

It is now -39°C (w/ windchill -53°C).

Wife picked me up this morning and I noticed that one of her tires was low. Pulled off the hub cap to get at the valve and ripped some skin off two of my fingers ..... again! Same thing happened when she got a flat last summer (same two fingers). I will be buying some valve extensions.

Guess I'll have to tarp up the front of my truck when I get home and hope that eliminating the wind will be enough to get it started or the next time it snows I'll be back to plowing with my quad.

Pretty good temp spread yesterday

Here in SO MO at 8am yesterday it was 61* F and at 8pm it was 16* F. That plus 30mph wind all day. Today as of right now it is 38* and sunny. Crazy weather. I am all for global warming!

Last edited:
Two Sundays ago at my farm here in Texas it was +16 and that was the coldest I can remember in 2 years. I even had to wait till almost 10 o'clock for it to get in the 30s so I could go work outside and not freeze my a$$ off. And its -30 up there, Man that's friggin brutal! If I lived up there I would have to take off work from November to March LOL. Keep the fires burning and try to stay warm. Stay Safe. :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :dizzy:

Here in SO MO at 8am yesterday it was 61* F and at 8pm it was 16* F. That plus 30mph wind all day. Today as of right now it is 38* and sunny. Crazy weather. I am all for global warming!

Her in IL at noon it was 59 deg at 3:00 it was 40 at 3:30 it was 26 at 8:00 it was 13 with -10 wind chill today it got to a whopping 26. Tomorrow there calling for 8 in of snow. Yippie kia I a. I'm ready for spring.

I feel for all of you putting up with the winds. We had a 60mph wind storm hit us a few weeks ago and we were without power for a week. With the wood stove and gas cook-top it wasn't so bad. We bought a generator to run the refrigerator and played card games with the kids.

It's a balmy 27 right now, got up to 34 today. I don't know how you handle those cold temps!
Dok

Make LOVE to the woodstove

I feel for all of you putting up with the winds. We had a 60mph wind storm hit us a few weeks ago and we were without power for a week. With the wood stove and gas cook-top it wasn't so bad. We bought a generator to run the refrigerator and played card games with the kids.

It's a balmy 27 right now, got up to 34 today. I don't know how you handle those cold temps!
Dok

How do we handle the cold weather? Lets just say that my wife uses an egg flipper to remove my lips from the woodstove most days. LOL
:love1:

Lotsa TV and lotsa NET. Sometimes we snuggle but in this weather she wears 7 housecoats tied tightly at the ankles.
:hmm3grin2orange:

Dok

The temps generally fall gradually so we get used to them throughout the course of a winter. When I worked up north on the rail it was a bit colder than the temps we see here. I remember one winter I had a husky. I fed him before I went to work in the morning (he was outside in an insulated dog house that I also put hay in), and by the time I came home he had succumbed to the cold. :(

It was -48°C that day not including the windchill and had dropped to -55°C (again not including windchill) at a neighboring community about 50 miles north of us. That was before CN Rail instituted a "no work" policy for temps below -40.

LOL ... at the end of the day tho .... it's still cold!

Jeebus, man - I can't even imagine. I have never lived anywhere outside of the Carolinas, but I'm looking for some hilly/mountainous wooded land somewhere up north. I can't wait, but -40C seems unimaginably brutal.

Stay warm guys! :cheers:

A balmy 34F today, even warmer in the sun (ended up in my Tshirt for about 30 mins lol), then drove through a hail storm on the way home, sheesh! You guys at -30+ have my condolences, I spent 5 years in Winterpeg and remember my mom sayin' "Its only 25 below, put on another pair of socks an' quit whining! An' hurry up or you'll be late for school!" First time I ever fell down and couldn't get up again not drunk, thankful we travelled in packs :D
Whenever I smell wet clothes drying I get flashbacks, this isn't good is it?
:monkey:
Ahhhhhh the memories, my brother with his tongue stuck to the school flagpole, my dad's hand frozen to the old Chevy's doorhandle, my mom beating us with a broom for tracking slush through the house, snow forts, pins & needle toes, frozen snot, skating to school, hot cocoa.........*sigh*

:cheers:

Serge

A balmy 34F today, even warmer in the sun (ended up in my Tshirt for about 30 mins lol), then drove through a hail storm on the way home, sheesh! You guys at -30+ have my condolences, I spent 5 years in Winterpeg and remember my mom sayin' "Its only 25 below, put on another pair of socks an' quit whining! An' hurry up or you'll be late for school!" First time I ever fell down and couldn't get up again not drunk, thankful we travelled in packs :D
Whenever I smell wet clothes drying I get flashbacks, this isn't good is it?
:monkey:
Ahhhhhh the memories, my brother with his tongue stuck to the school flagpole, my dad's hand frozen to the old Chevy's doorhandle, my mom beating us with a broom for tracking slush through the house, snow forts, pins & needle toes, frozen snot, skating to school, hot cocoa.........*sigh*

:cheers:

Serge

LOL ... it was only -25 today and people were out and about just like it was spring time. I guess it only seemed warm because of the temps that we had for the last few days.

As for your "fond" memories .... yep, that's about it! :D

PS ..... my "tongue" experience was when I was about 8 and involved my toy (metal) pistol .... if I recall correctly it happened as soon as no one was watching, but otherwise immediately after I was told not to.

Back