Miscalculation!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just being a firewood hack, I've tied quite a few trees to a truck and pulled them over but this guy is dumb. First, I will only pull directly against the lean and second, I make sure I have the truck in 4wd. Also before actually making any cuts, we always put tension on the tree to see if we can make the top move. I'm sure I will get hell from the experts in here and that's fine but knowing your limits and being smart about your skill set as well as physics can keep a guy out of the trouble you see in this video. Somehow though, these videos never get old!

It appears that they were trying to get the tree to drop where the previous fall lay. Too bad there wasn't a close-up shot of the felling cuts. With the truck pulling it that tree should've dropped where they wanted it.

Just being a firewood hack, I've tied quite a few trees to a truck and pulled them over but this guy is dumb. First, I will only pull directly against the lean and second, I make sure I have the truck in 4wd. Also before actually making any cuts, we always put tension on the tree to see if we can make the top move. I'm sure I will get hell from the experts in here and that's fine but knowing your limits and being smart about your skill set as well as physics can keep a guy out of the trouble you see in this video. Somehow though, these videos never get old!

> Somehow though, these videos never get old!

sad tale, but no they don't, do they!?...

*0k who should I talk to in here...jrider....what is he saying..WHAT!
That sounds pretty reasonable*

It appears that they were trying to get the tree to drop where the previous fall lay. Too bad there wasn't a close-up shot of the felling cuts. With the truck pulling it that tree should've dropped where they wanted it.
truck with rear wheel drive on grass actually doesn't add much pulling power. especially with a rope running at an upward angle as the truck tries to drive away it lifts the rear of the truck thus loosing traction. plus all the limbs were on the left side of the tree and nothing on the right.

truck with rear wheel drive on grass actually doesn't add much pulling power. especially with a rope running at an upward angle as the truck tries to drive away it lifts the rear of the truck thus loosing traction. plus all the limbs were on the left side of the tree and nothing on the right.
much better the other way around,good observation.

of course, the good news in it all is that... he probably learned a good lesson! :laughing: albeit quite expensive!!... methinks he probably is not on the AS... ;) or if he is a wood forum junkie, prob on that 'other' site... "just be sure you tie it up to your truck so u can drag-load it in a dif direction of the building to fell it... you don't want it to fell on the building..."

the arborist: "omg, it felled in the wrong direction..." :nofunny:

right after it hit building: :baba::envy::envy::baba:

I heard someone flew a drone high over and caught his wife 'talking' to him about it after the fact.... :dumb:

seeen later on that day: :angry:

his neighbors: "...told you so, Joe!" :cheers:

his insurance agent: :wtf:

actually, it wasn't his place - was his brother-in-laws!... :buttkick:

:lol:

Back