Mod cost?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THALL10326

The Champ
Reaction score
Seen alot of talk about grinding out ports, drilling mufflers and odd's and in's with a chainsaw. Anyone have any idea what a mod job costs???

Last edited:
depending on the builder, it is about $250 give or take 50-100 bucks. That is for a woods port. Race saws are totally differant.

Freakingstang said:
depending on the builder, it is about $250 give or take 50-100 bucks. That is for a woods port. Race saws are totally differant.

Hmmmmmmmmm. Thats not too bad. I assume the muffler doesn't take much time. Any idea how long it takes to mod the cylinder and piston? I'm really trying to figure out if there's any money in it for the builder.

THALL10326 said:
Hmmmmmmmmm. Thats not too bad. I assume the muffler doesn't take much time. Any idea how long it takes to mod the cylinder and piston? I'm really trying to figure out if there's any money in it for the builder.

I would think they make some profit..Dont know if you would get rich from it..

04ultra said:
I would think they make some profit..Dont know if you would get rich from it..
Well I'm sure they make a profit or they wouldn't bother. I was just curious as to how long it takes verses what it costs. If the performance is enhanced the value of the job is worth it but if it take 5 or 6 hours to do it I wonder if its worth it to the builder.

04ultra said:
But Andy if you only ship the power head you save money..

Yeah, and every time I shop PHO, it's to the East coast or Florida! Must be nice to live in the "center", apart from the weather, maybe:biggrinbounce2:

Hey, it would be cheaper on the way back - all that metal ground out.

I know a guy that mods some and he charges around the same and he said he doesnt make much profit.....his words were "its just something i like to do"....

i charge $250 for a woods port job, and that includes the return shipping of the saw. i have details and prices listed on my website thats in my signature.
i back all my work so you have less to worry about. my turnaround time is up to a week from the day i get the saw. thats not a mistake, up to one week for mod work. if other service is needed it may take a bit longer but not much. on most of the logging jobs i do i use one of my woods port Stihl 036 Pros where it would usually take an 044 or 046 and work the heck out of that bugger and have never had any issues with it. videos can be seen posted in my forum in other sponsors if you want to see some saws in action.

NWCS said:
i charge $250 for a woods port job, and that includes the return shipping of the saw. i have details and prices listed on my website thats in my signature.
i back all my work so you have less to worry about. my turnaround time is up to a week from the day i get the saw. thats not a mistake, up to one week for mod work. if other service is needed it may take a bit longer but not much. on most of the logging jobs i do i use one of my woods port Stihl 036 Pros where it would usually take an 044 or 046 and work the heck out of that bugger and have never had any issues with it. videos can be seen posted in my forum in other sponsors if you want to see some saws in action.

See Andy return shipping included.. That is a deal..

THALL10326 you planning on building saws on the east coast.. :hmm3grin2orange:

If your saw runs with the mods you do let me know..Stihl thinking it over and you doing free shipping both ways..

04ultra said:
THALL10326 you planning on building saws on the east coast.. :hmm3grin2orange:

If your saw runs with the mods you do let me know..Stihl thinking it over and you doing free shipping both ways..

If I do yours will be the first and on the house , hows that for a deal ole feller?????????????????????????????????//////

THALL10326 said:
If I do yours will be the first and on the house , hows that for a deal ole feller?????????????????????????????????//////

I just would not feel right about not paying for a quality job.. :cheers:

I costs money and time to do mods..:bowdown:

04ultra said:
See Andy return shipping included.. That is a deal..

Hey, not bad... particularly if you live in Florida!

If I do work for free, just don't expect me to give way shipping though... unless you live in my town.:biggrinbounce2:

Ken Dunn has built up a couple of saws for me.The last one was a 7900 woodsaw. If I remember right it was around 2 bones with shipping,it runs good! Ken also built me a 088 race saw.Custom aluminum built head,milled
base,expansion chamber,flywheel,bored carb, radical port work and many other things.It was around $1500.But that was 3 years ago and I think Ken just plays a little bit here and there now.

THALL are you sure you can do this porting stuff because it is not trial and error.. You need facts and figures to complete a mod of this caliber.. Who did you get your info from or is that a trade secret.. Do you have saw building experience other than stock..Mods take a lot of talent like certain builders on here have..

Latest posts

Back