Modern replacement for Pro Mac 10-10?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anothernewb

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all - another new forum member here.

Well, after 50 faithful years of service, my well loved 10-10 which was handed down from my late father. gave up the ghost. The engine still starts and runs easily and strong, but the oiler is virtually gone, it will empty the oil tank in less than a minute of actual use (although it slings a mean sheet of oil down the chain. it'll never rust, that's for sure!) and the plate that holds the chain tension screw has fatigued to where it's just not holding tension.

it's a sad day for me as I have many happy memories with my father cutting firewood with it. It's always been a dead reliable unit.

So - that brings me into the 21st century. I have never looked at, researched, or really handled any other chainsaw other than mine. kinda thought it might last long enough to hand down myself..

Can someone offer some modern quality makers/models that would be in a similar performance range? (a lighter power head never hurts either! that thing was a tad heavy by the end of the say) I ran with the 20" bar usually, but had a 24" for the occasional bigger job.
While my use us light these days - I looked at a few "homeowners" models in Menards, and wasn't impressed. they seemed like cheap toys...I want something that will hold up like the Mac did. We used to cut about 10-15 cords of oak a year back in the day. Parts is a big thing too. I could buy a chain or bar literally anywhere for mine. Something as common as that is a bonus.

Price? meh. who cares. If it lasts another 50 years like the last one did- even a thousand dollar saw only costs $20 a year.

Howdy and welcome to the forum! Personally if I were you I’d fix the 10-10 because it is such a great saw and because of the family value. But it never hurts to have a new saw too [emoji57]. That comes down to how much power you need, weight you want to deal with, and availability of parts and service for you.

But again the 10-10 is too good a saw to let go down!

I'd love to restore it - but I wouldn't even know where to find parts for it. it's virtually an antique, and it shows every bit of it's 50 years of use. It'll never get tossed though. it's sitting on the shelf in the shed.

You've opened the floodgates to many opinions here - some of them are even good ones!!

If you are not set on a new saw, the Stihl 026 (slightly smaller than your 10-10, but much more maneuverable) or the Stihl 361 (slightly larger than your 10-10) are both amazing pieces of engineering. They are reliable, and there are many places to get parts and accessories for them. I have and run both models (as well as others), but I have to say I run the 026 more than any of them. That said, they are both "older" models.

You are right, the Macs are hard to find NOS OEM parts for. However, with millions of them made, there are many parts saws out there if you are so inclined.

And no, Stihl is not the only manufacturer of quality saws out there, but they are the ones many of us prefer and have first-hand experience with. Better than "My father's ex-wife's sister's brother-in-law's" experiences.

I'm not opposed to buying a used saw. I'm sure they're like anything else. they've either been taken care of or trashed - and either case is readily apparent when you look at them.

I'd love to restore it - but I wouldn't even know where to find parts for it. it's virtually an antique, and it shows every bit of it's 50 years of use. It'll never get tossed though. it's sitting on the shelf in the shed.

You can get pdf versions of manuals and such from guys on here to help with repairs if you’re mechanically inclined to do so. Some basic google searches can lead you to specific parts you need that have been taken from other saws. There are plenty of guys on here with saw Parts than can help get you taken care of as well.

If you hop into the “vintage chainsaw collector lounge” there’s some good guys in there who love McCullochs and some have spare parts. Might help as well as finding the McCulloch thread.

And I’ll +1 the Stihl ms361 as one of the best saws I’ve ever used. The power to weight is great. You can find some good condition used ones on here for about $400

You can get pdf versions of manuals and such from guys on here to help with repairs if you’re mechanically inclined to do so. Some basic google searches can lead you to specific parts you need that have been taken from other saws. There are plenty of guys on here with saw Parts than can help get you taken care of as well.

If you hop into the “vintage chainsaw collector lounge” there’s some good guys in there who love McCullochs and some have spare parts. Might help as well as finding the McCulloch thread.

And I’ll +1 the Stihl ms361 as one of the best saws I’ve ever used. The power to weight is great. You can find some good condition used ones on here for about $400
Quite plugging VCCL will ya Lonestar! Naa, I'm kidding guys, it's an awesome thread, go stop by and say hi. I also second fixing the 10-10, I recently got one myself and am going to fix it up. Lots of used parts on ebay, and there are quite a few people on here have parts that they would be willing to sell. The ms361 is a very capable saw as well. Weighs about the same as the 10-10 and easily pulls a 20'' with out ever bogging down. If you care to fix the saw, there are many people on here who are willing to help you with parts and work on fixing the saw.

As my user name implies, I like and am most familiar with Husqvarnas, so here are some comparisons to consider that would be somewhat similar to your Mac 10-10

Make model CC's. HP. Weight price

Mac. 10-10. 54cc. ?HP. 15.6#. ???$

Husq. 450 R. 50.2. 3.2hp 11.2# $400

Husq 455 R. 55.5. 3.49hp. 12.8# $450

Husq 460 R 60.3 3.62hp. 12.8#. $510

Husq 545. 50.1cc. 3.35hp. 10.8# $520

Husq 555 59.8cc. 4.3hp 13.0# $650

Husq 550xp 50.1. 3.75hp 10.8# $620

Husq 562xp. 59.8. 4.7hp 13.23# $710

The Husqvarna website didn't list a bar size for the 450 Rancher, all the other model prices are with a 20" bar/chain.

The 450R, 455R and 460R, are the Rancher version of those models.

I Have had my Husqvarna 266XP and 23 Compact since around 1991-92, and that 266 made a Husky believer out of me. Only about half way to your 50 year mark, but I have confidence in that saw, I won't be at all surprised if it sees its 50th birthday, and I will still have it, I'm NOT selling that saw.

I Also recently bought a 3120XP, and bought a used(ugly, but runs good) 460 Rancher to keep in the pickup, we live in the woods on Mt. Hood and especially during the winter, trees blocking the road is not unusual, don't want some Cretin getting my beloved 266.

All the above said, Stihl are also Very Good tools. Husqvarna had much better dealer support 25 years ago, and if Heaven Forbid, I had to replace all my saws, I would consider Stihl, because of the greater dealer network, but for now. I am Very Happy with the Husqvarnas that I have, I am sticking with Husqvarna and would recommend them to anyone, especially if they have a good dealer nearby.

Doug

The 450 Rancher was sold with a 20” bar when I bought mine. .325 .050 Chain.

Can’t go wrong with most major saw companies. Buying a newer used saw is your best bang for buck more than likely.

That
local store has a Husqvarna 460 on sale right now for about $450- but I wonder if it's a big box model. doesn't say rancher on it anywhere.

That is interesting, the current Husqvarna website, where I just got the above information, only shows the Rancher version in the 455, 460 and 465 models, with the 450 available as a straight 450, 450 Rancher and 450 E-Series.

I Don't recall if Lowe's stocks the 460, but Coastal does around here, and I Am 95+% sure the sales tag, shelf sticker and the decal on the recoil housing all say Rancher on them, as does my 2011 year, IIRC , used 460.

Doug

The 450 Rancher was sold with a 20” bar when I bought mine. .325 .050 Chain.

Can’t go wrong with most major saw companies. Buying a newer used saw is your best bang for buck more than likely.

"Can't go wrong with most Major Saw Companies "

You mean there ARE OTHER Saw companies besides Husqvarna and Stihl?

Hersey and Blasphemy, I tell you, Why would you want to go spreading rumors like that??

Doug

Hi anothernewb
You could fix your old saw, look for the parts, and if you know someone
with a machine shop, then parts can be made up.

Regarding new saw, there are many manufacturers, who produce many models
and sizes of saw, if you care to mention the size of wood you will mainly be cutting
it may help others make some suggestions.
It would help too if you gave a physical weight limit you are comfortable to work with.

What are the dealers like in your locality, it always helps to have a good shop where parts
advise and if need be labour is available, and what brands are they selling.
Knowing this may help decide if you are happy to shop local, or have to look further a field.

There is new technology available on Stihl and Husqvarna saws now too,
in short, computerised saw management systems, that calculate the correct
volume of fuel to feed the engine, and also when to fire the spark.
MT / M tronic is Stihls version, while AT / auto tune is Husqvarna's version.
They are improving and lots of people use these type of saws,
but the ordinary man can not do much to tune them or fix them, its going to
be a trip to the dealer, and part with money do do some of the things you
could do on an ordinary saw that has a carb, if you don't like adjusting your carb,
then these new systems are the way to go.
You are going to be spoiled for choice.

Happy shopping & regards, john

"Can't go wrong with most Major Saw Companies "

You mean there ARE OTHER Saw companies besides Husqvarna and Stihl?

Hersey and Blasphemy, I tell you, Why would you want to go spreading rumors like that??

Doug

Well I did say major. Echo and majors are minor leagues... :drinkingcoffee:

I sold my husky 450R this year but now I have another Husky. Got the 576xp AT and I’m loving it. It’s my only husky because obviously Stihl is best. [emoji57]. Ok think I stirred the pot enough with this one lol

I Don't know why the Smileys didn't show up on my last post, I am on my phone, but using that they have shown up before.

I Would be Honestly hard pressed to say either Husky or Stihl was "Better " than the other, but either are Quality tools.

Around 1991, when I was looking for my first saw of my own, I was looking for McCulloch, because my Dad had a Pro Mac60 when I was a kid, and that was a Helluva cuttin saw for it's time.

Well by that time, Mac wasn't what I grew up with anymore. I Was rather disappointed by what I saw in yellow saws with Mac on the label.

After a bit of research, and knowing people with both Huskys and Stihls,
It came down to, at the time, I felt that I got more saw for my money with Husqvarna, even then on a side by side comparison, both were Excellent tools, it simply came down to price.

As I said earlier, I am Very Happy with my Huskys, but if I suddenly had to replace ALL my saws, I would seriously consider Stihl, because of their superior (at least in my area) Dealer network.

I Wouldn't question anyone's judgement for buying either brand.

Now, as far as this "There are other brands" Nonsense, you really need to stop spreading these Rumors (Smile)

Doug

I don’t claim one better than the other truly. I like to stupid the pot a bit here and there for the Die Hard folks. Either are good. And echo has some great saws too but some will tell you the warranty resolution is not good.

OP I’d suggest searching the Trading Post and see what you can find. Sounds like a 562xp or ms361 would do you great. Even a echo cs590

Well I did say major. Echo and majors are minor leagues... :drinkingcoffee:

I sold my husky 450R this year but now I have another Husky. Got the 576xp AT and I’m loving it. It’s my only husky because obviously Stihl is best. [emoji57]. Ok think I stirred the pot enough with this one lol
You can't beet a Makita, but you have to hand it to those who are Stihl trying to.:angry:

Hmm. found a local Craigslist ad for both a Stihl MS361 and a MS311. same price for either, $375. Both saws look used, but not abused form the pictures.

361 is worth going to look at. That’d save you shipping and you get a bar and chain. That’s a fair price. Pictures?

Latest posts

Back