modifying an 084 muffler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thompson1600

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
What would you do to this muffler for a Stihl 084 so you can get more power? It has the two tubes going out the side and the basket covering much of the exhaust port.

Thanks

Tom

bump...

Wondering if anyone modifies 084 mufflers, and what you have done to improve them. What type of increase can you expect from an 084 muffler mod? Is it not worth it to mod an 084 muffler?

Thanks

Tom

Last edited:
The 088 muffler is completely different to the 084. It's a BIG cast aluminum muffler, but any future modding looks dead simple. The outlet portion has a steel plate with 4 screws, allowing the adaption of pretty much any size hole, pipe or whatever.

Assuming yours is a working saw and not just for racing, I'm not sure if there is much to be gained or not. I'm assuming Stihl was trying to get everything they could out of their "biggest" saw while not over stressing the crank etc. I have a real nice 088 ready to roll (just one stupid oil seal to replace, again) and I just started looking at the muffler etc. To mod or not to mod, that is the question...

Anyone have any info on 088 mods (not racing!)?

Different mufflers?

My 084 has a different muffler than the one Tom posted. No pipes and just a box with a screen. Why the 2 different designs?

I modded my 034 muffer that was not very different from the picture I posted. I removed the screen and box with a dremmel and ground the exhaust port (red arrow) out to about 5/8"+ diameter. As far as I can tell I got about a 5%-10% increase in output. It's hard to quantify but it does cut faster.

thompson1600 said:
Bumping this up, to see if anyone has more advice. Thanks

DOn't know whether this is advice, more info. I've got an 084 I built out of two saws with two different mufflers. Both look pretty much the same on the outside, other than on hole.

One muffler is the one you describe with the basket and two tubes.
The other has no basket, a spark arrestor screen across the top, and the exhaust exits in the same place.
I went with the two tube muffler ( I think the older of the two) because it looked like the outlet was bigger. Didn't measure it though.

Wondered the same as you, the holes don't look they add up to even half the area of the exhaust port on the cylinder.

Maybe I should make some timed cuts with both mufflers?

Not going to have time for a while though

Latest posts

Back