Monkey Puzzle Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max1234

Reaction score
I have a small Monkey tree. It is about 2 ft high. It grew again this past summer, and looks like it will split into three branches again next year. The bottom two branches are totally brown, and the next two lowest branches are starting to wither. Is this a normal part of the growth, or does this indicate a worse problem?
Any help?

Brian you are always picking on these poor trees. When you get a chance I would like to see a picture of one of these devil trees:)

cones.jpg

50monk.jpg

Couldn't find any good ones. That branch looks UGLY!

Looks harmless to me. Didnt I read something in a previous post about some special sap or something in these things?

Harmless ? There is a reason there called monkey puzzels. A monkey cant figure out how to climb them.I am just glad there not real popular hear in So. Cal. I hate emmmm

Could it be this tree has something to protect?What part of your body hurts the worst when hit? Yes sir,you quessed it,YOUR CODS:eek: Mother Nature wants you to protect 'em,so she makes it hurt oh so BAD when we do.In return we gaurd them with our very lives,at least I DO.Same for a tree. :)

Its hard to tell from the pic but are those spikes really sharp? I take it they grow in the mountains. And where are the CODS on that thing? the ends of the branches. Are there thorns on the bark or something?

Yes, huskyman, EVERY leaf has a thorn. They also spit dead leaves year round. And sap which drips on everything. In 20 years of lawn maintenance/landscaping/tree service, where I have talked with customers about their yards on a regular basis, I have YET to meet a single person with a mature monkeypuzzle tree who didn't hate it. I took one down about 12 years ago when I first started climbing and have refused many more since. Not enough money to get me back in one of those #$%^&^% things!

ps- Try finding someone who has a MATURE monkeypuzzle who LIKES it!

Ok, one more question and this thread can die. Why does Monkeypuzzle call himself Monkeypuzzle? Because you are a pain in the arse? :p

I happen to LOVE mature Monkeypuzzle trees AND I also KNOW the Monkeypuzzleman is one cool mature individual. Dream on fellas you are just jealous of the phallic potential of that tree in the picture. One hates what one can't have (or control...lol)!

Noone said they did not look good. Its just a monkey cant climb them,& a human turns them down or hates to climb them getting paid to do them.

Back