Monster hard maple all mine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miller1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Buddy called me and said his bro in law is having a huge tree taken down and its all mine if i want it, it is about 4' dia and about 70' tall, at about 15' it splits into 4 trunks that are about 20" dia, they only got about 1 of the splits down today and that gave me 2 trailer loads, 14' tandom axle, i wish they would have done this when it was cold out but i guess i gotta take it when i can get it.
425762a8-eb92-c029.jpg
425762a8-ebaa-3eb7.jpg
425762a8-ebb7-7f5f.jpg
425762a8-ebc6-132b.jpg

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

That'll give you some fire wood for a while! Nice score! :clap: :clap:

Do you have a saw(s) to handle the larger wood?

I have a husky 359 for most stuff and a j- red 2186 with a 28" bar and a 36", haven't used the 36 but a couple times so i might play with it on this, it might make me want to get the j-red modded after i get done, we'll see. :D

I have a husky 359 for most stuff and a j- red 2186 with a 28" bar and a 36", haven't used the 36 but a couple times so i might play with it on this, it might make me want to get the j-red modded after i get done, we'll see. :D

Are you going to keep the pics coming? :msp_thumbup:

Here's my "big boy" PM800 (82cc) 36" bar. This is my first cut with it. The chain is new but a bit stiff so it's got some run in to be done. After this cut it was hanging really low!
DSC00067.jpg

Last edited:
Nice! Now I want to see pics of you and your splitting axe/maul finishing it up! :msp_tongue:

Ted

Ya, i dont do the splitting maul on maple, i bring the 35 ton splitter with me, that is still alot of work with stuff this big but it is still fun.

used it quack silver maple gos bad fast we dump that junk

Ill sell alot of it for campfire wood so i wont have to much problem getting it used up before it goes bad, i just cant say no when i am offered a tree. The guys that are cutting it down dropped a limb and busted a hydro line so they cant cut anymore till tuesday, ill take more pics when they drop it all down.

Last edited:
I hate to be the one to bring this up, but... Those leaves don't appear to be hard maple.
Sure is a lot of wood there though.

i thought silver or soft maple when i was cutting the smaller stuff but the i asked the property owner and he called the tree service and they told him it was hard maple:confused2:, it just seemed to cut to easy for hard and the bark was falling off some of the small stuff and it was very slick like soft maple but i dont turn down to many trees no matter what they are, i heat with a owb and sell some campfire wood so i dont get picky.

The tiny brown core in the limb wood says norway maple but the leaf looks like silver maple sort of.
Bark looks unusual for silver maple.

I bet it's freemans maple a cross between silver and red and firewood like both.
I bet 4 cords from it or more.

Great score no matter what it turns out to be.

Looks like a Silver to me too, but no matter..... great score of free firewood.

That looks like a six cord tree. :msp_thumbup:

Looks good! How many cords you think you will get out of this tree ?

Thats to much for my brain to figure, i was off on my estimation on the dia, i took a tape measure tonight and it is 5' 3" from side to side, this is my j- red with a 28" bar next to it.
42575d94-15ef-be67.jpg

Thats to much for my brain to figure, i was off on my estimation on the dia, i took a tape measure tonight and it is 5' 3" from side to side, this is my j- red with a 28" bar next to it.
42575d94-15ef-be67.jpg

Looks pretty nice! I like that J-Red also! Happy Splitting!

If it helps, they say a 12 in diameter is 1/3 of a cord. A 22 in diameter tree is 1 full cord. Then there is the math to follow. Who likes algebra?

Back