Montgomery Ward Chainsaw ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob_E

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I recently acquired an old Montgomery ward chainsaw. It has an identification plate but it's worn & the only things legible are two engraved numbers and Montgomery ward at the bottom.
D65 1101
I'd like information on the engine. Possibly some specifications, displacement/power ratings, who manufactured it, are replacement parts available? Can anybody help me out?

Thanks

I through in a few pictures. If anything it's a pretty neat old-time chainsaw
PICT0122.jpg

PICT0121.jpg

The shape of the muffler and jug makes me think you may wanna look under Clinton to find more about it.

Montgomery Ward Chainsaw

Bob, I have a Montgomery Ward D65 chainsaw that looks identical to the one in your photos, except mine is painted green. I purchased it used at a Ward's dock sale in 1963. In doing some repair work on it way back, I determined that the engine was made by Tecumseh, and I purchased their 2-Stroke Cycle Engine Mechanic's Handbook. In that handbook, I have annotated that the engine is a Tecumseh Type 1265D. There's probably a tag on it somewhere that I used to get that information. I also have written down the designation H58, but I don't remember what that means. The serial number on mine is 3625165 60 VF. Looking at the specifications in the manual, the Type 1265D engine has a displacement of 5.80 cubic inches. The bore is 2.093"/2.094" and the stroke is 1.63". Mine came with a 17" bar with a 7/16" pitch chain. It was a good strong, fast cutting saw, I think rated for up to a 33" bar. I still have it, but I think the cylinder is scored - at least it acted like it the last time I tried to start it about 10 years ago. Parts may still be available from Tecumseh, but I have no immediate plans to restore it - maybe someday. Gene Gauss

Latest posts

Back