Mooving Austrian Pine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BranchWalker74

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have a potential customer that wants a quote on moving a Austrian Pine tree, to the other side of his yard. The tree is about twelve feet high, and stem diameter is about 5". I have never moved a tree like this. Do any of you have experience moving such a tree without a large piece of equipment? The customer says he will do it with, or without my help. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I will try to post a pic in a little while.

Thank you
Mark

I have transplanted a lot of trees and have learned that for the effort, only 2" diameter and less are cost effective. The tree you described will need a min. 36" dia root ball and will weigh in at approx. 900 pounds. If the tree has been in its current location for a while, you will cut a lot of fine absorbing roots in the process.

You can buy an Aus. Pine the same size for approx 425.00. Labor to move the tree will exceed that, chance of survival will be low.

Digging and balling will not be a big problem, getting out of the hole will be. Its a 3-4 person job. Probably 3.5 hours for 3 men @ 50.00 pmh = 525.00 labor + 30.00 guying material = total transplant cost $555.00, with no guarantee.

A 5" tree should make it with a 30" ball, but bigger is better. Make sure the tree is replanted facing the same direction to help with sun scald. Make sure that the soil composition is at least similar. Dont plant it too deep or too shallow. On the guying, make sure you DO NOT let it girdle the tree. Also it woulda been better to do this 2 months ago before the tree likely started budding.

A boom pole on a 3 point hitch of a tractor makes it easier to handle. Use a wide nylon strap wrapped and choked around the base of the tree and DO NOT let it slip as it will damage the bark.

Moving a tree that size by hand is possible, but it wont be any fun.

Get a Mutt (brand name) or other long handled flat blade to help you reach under the ball and cut the roots without tearing them.

If I remember correctly, you would be talking about a 50" diameter root ball, and not a 36". You're going to need a machine for this.

Treeman is right, if the tree is 5" @ 1 ft. off the ground 10" to 12" dia. root ball for each inch on the stem. This is for shade trees, evergreens might go by the height of the tree to determine the root ball, it would be close to that, can't recall off hand without looking it up.

Evergreens especially Pines have a poor root system for conventional B&B when they get that big, if the tree is on sandy soil, forget it, the ball will just fall apart. On a tighter clay soil you might by with it, if you can get some equipment at it to do the lifting and do some homework on how big trees are moved without a tree spade.

If your going to do it all by hand, not a good move, it can be done, but is VERY LABOR INTENSIVE, not to mention costly. If you can move it with a tree spade that is the way to go.

Larry

Thanks guys, you have given me alot of goog advice. I like the tracter 3 point hitch idea the best. I think that will be cheeper than getting someone with a tree spade. And also I did not realize how much weight the root ball can be. I have a three man crew, it might not be enough without a machine.

Thankl you
Mark

Latest posts

Back