More About Plunge Cutting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GEMTLE logging offered in GOL course

Just discovered where the term, Gentle Logging came from.

ATV & Gentle Logging Training

This training program is for woodland owners and workers who want to extract trees from their property safely and without the use of expensive professional logging equipment. With the use of an ATV, small tractor, pug, or something that can pull a tree behind, the wood can be pulled out in a low impact manner, with little or no residual damage to the property. The program focuses on choosing the right equipment and using it safely. Those taking the program will be instructed in proper chainsaw handling, learning to fell trees safely, with the option of removing the wood with their own equipment at their own pace. Game of Logging instructors will demonstrate the use of the equipment, how to set up an ATV for working in their woodlot with safety as top priority.

Using the tools and the techniques offered in this program, woodland owners and workers will have the confidence and knowledge to safely and comfortably work in the woods. ATV/Gentle logging training is offered as an added day with the landowner chainsaw training program.

I pictured gentlemen in formal attire stopping while skidding a log and saying to their coworker on another skidder, After you. And the coworker saying, No please, after you, and after a few more After yous, they shake hands, offer a Pardon me, and gracefully bring the turn in, holding the little pinkies of their hands, out at a straight angle while steering.

I haven't found the hats but they do sell wool long underwear. Pardon me for using the term, underwear. :yoyo:

Still haven't found the hats, but it looks like they had a session in Oregon.
http://www.celebratebig.com/pacific...chainsaw-tree-felling-yarding-bucking-course/

Last edited:
Yet another thing I won't understand unless I see it. And probably won't.
Oh well.

I have seen the old "tree fallen by mistake onto the skyline" but no wedges were used, the rigging saw always has a bent bar, and even the guy who lectured to always lower the skyline when a tree is being felled near it, didn't do so. Nothing broke. Just bruises from diving behind a big stump.

Oooops, my bad, back to games.

It's pretty easy to understand. If your only tree big enough for a support or even a tail tree is too far off the corridor you can put your guylines up and fall it towards the corridor so that it stops on the edge of the corridor. The trick is to get your guylines with the right amount of slack in them so they come tight when the tree gets to where you want it. A lot of holding wood is prefered and you block the back cut with a wedge so it can't bounce back.

Not sure about the bent bar part but if you are falling trees down the corridor it is often best to usethe skyline as a rub to keep them in the corridor. Then again sometimes the skyline needs to come down. For sure though if you never put one across you haven't fell very many. It can get pretty dicey if the butt comes off the stump and you get that teeter totter effect.Had to say that so I got teeter totter into two threads.;)

Okay, take a deep breath, relax, and read my post again. I wasn't attacking you on any kind of personal level. I don't see any need for you to rant and rave. Just because you and I don't agree on something isn't any reason to get your blood pressure up.

My view of GOL remains unchanged. It's too structured and verges on being dogmatic in it's approach to technique in the woods. Most of the people out here consider it a joke. We also have a hard time taking seriously anybody who says that GOL is the only way to go. I understand that you're not doing that and that shows that you probably have more intelligence than you've exhibited here so far.

But...if you want to get all upset and yell about something, and if it makes you feel better, go right ahead. I'll give your viewpoint, based on your experience, the consideration it's worth.

I wasnt really trying to rant and rave.....if you took it that way...sorry...it takes alot more than that to make me mad....im a pretty laid back person actually...loud as some say...but laid back....lol BUT alot of people "sterotype" a boring backcut as GOL...which in some cases its very different. And i didnt really say that i didnt agree with you..did i?....i understand the way you cut....and i would imageine that since your knowlegable as well...that you would understand where im comming from and how we cut hardwood. We're both different from eachother..but we're in different timber as well. If I cut in your location....I would use west coast falling techniques....and vice versa on you im sure....again sorry if you took it the wrong way....this IS the internet...no need for anyone to get worked up...lol...although some do...lololol:laugh:

ATV & Gentle Logging Training

This training program is for woodland owners and workers who want to extract trees from their property safely and without the use of expensive professional logging equipment. With the use of an ATV, small tractor, pug, or something that can pull a tree behind, the wood can be pulled out in a low impact manner, with little or no residual damage to the property.

A local sawmill operator used to haul logs with a homemade log arch and an old ATC 185s. He winched the whole log up into the arch, which was at least 15' long. Couldn't hardly tell where he had been.

I wasnt really trying to rant and rave.....if you took it that way...sorry...it takes alot more than that to make me mad....im a pretty laid back person actually...loud as some say...but laid back....lol BUT alot of people "sterotype" a boring backcut as GOL...which in some cases its very different. And i didnt really say that i didnt agree with you..did i?....i understand the way you cut....and i would imageine that since your knowlegable as well...that you would understand where im comming from and how we cut hardwood. We're both different from eachother..but we're in different timber as well. If I cut in your location....I would use west coast falling techniques....and vice versa on you im sure....again sorry if you took it the wrong way....this IS the internet...no need for anyone to get worked up...lol...although some do...lololol:laugh:

Fair enough. :cheers:

The bent bar comment is something a logger told me, and I have actually heard it from most of the rigging crews. He said that for some reason, the rigging saw is always percieved to have a bent bar. It doesn't always have it, but that is what is claimed.

Since then, I have heard it several times, that's the rigging crew saw and the bar is bent. Once by a hooktender who was falling trees for rigging--bent bar, another crew complained, and recently there were big eyes because the crew took the boss's saw and he had to use their saw, which they said had you guessed it, a bent bar. Maybe it is a local thing? ;)

The bent bar comment is something a logger told me, and I have actually heard it from most of the rigging crews. He said that for some reason, the rigging saw is always percieved to have a bent bar. It doesn't always have it, but that is what is claimed.

Since then, I have heard it several times, that's the rigging crew saw and the bar is bent. Once by a hooktender who was falling trees for rigging--bent bar, another crew complained, and recently there were big eyes because the crew took the boss's saw and he had to use their saw, which they said had you guessed it, a bent bar. Maybe it is a local thing? ;)

Bent bar, Hmm. Sure that isn't a technical term for a poorly filed chain.

Latest posts

Back