More cheap tricks - DIY

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Four Paws

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Anyone who has bought a parts saw with a magnesium tank has likely ran into a nasty mess inside. Whether it is varnished fuel or in my case, oxidation. I was planning on using the tank on this particular saw for a project, but it was filled with hard, powdery white deposits. Access is limited - so, bead blasting is out of the question. Cant get after it with any hand tools or sandpaper. But, you can fill the tank up with something. White vinegar is cheap and works wonders to remove the oxidation. It reacts - gets hot, fizzes and bubbles. You know the reaction is finished when the bubbles stop and the heat begins to dissipate. Be sure to adequately vent the tank as it will build pressure - if possible leave the cap off the tank. When done, dump out the tank, rinse with water and blow dry with compressed air.

Sorry, no pictures of this one...couldn't get any worth a darn looking through the gas cap.

Josh

Good info...

... Nothing I need right now...

But dang it if I don't want an old beat up saw to play with... maybe for Christmas :hmm3grin2orange:

For even more fun throw in a half cup of quicklime then quickly had a half a tank of water and cap tightly. Stand well back 'cause you never know if the cap will yield or the tank will simply blow apart.:clap:

Seriously the vinegar tip is a good one. I am surpised sometimes at how many good uses there are for common household vinegar.

Alke-seltzer and water.Plop,plop ,fizz,fizz.Ha,I really don't know if it would work or not but it sounds good:biggrinbounce2:

I learned a long time ago when I started getting badly oxidized and corroded carbs on customers mowers...

Remove carb, remove float and throttle and choke shafts. Remove primer if present.

Put White Vinegar and some water in a stainless pot and put it on the sideburner of a gas grill with some screen to keep it off the bottom of the pot.

Boil it for 30-45 minutes, flipping it every so often.

Remove, allow to cool some, then hit it with carb spray, then blow out with compressed air.

Ive had some really raunchy carbs clean up to work like new, even if they didnt look like new.

Latest posts

Back