more on Chestnuts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brucew44guns

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I really appreciate the thread on Chestnuts, I did not know much about the blight that wiped out the American Chestnut, never studied it, didn't even know about it.
I do want to plant some Chestnuts in Central Kansas. Would some of you please make a recommendation of what kind of Chestnut I should plant, and steer me to a nursery of known good quality trees? I want to put in about 20 of them, and my soil---while fairly deep, is typically Kansas clayish. Your advise is appreciated.

Does anybody in your family have a breathing problem? If they do plant them away from you house. I had a bunch of Chinese in my yard and in the spring if you were downwind it was impossible to breathe.

I really appreciate the thread on Chestnuts, I did not know much about the blight that wiped out the American Chestnut, never studied it, didn't even know about it.
I do want to plant some Chestnuts in Central Kansas. Would some of you please make a recommendation of what kind of Chestnut I should plant, and steer me to a nursery of known good quality trees? I want to put in about 20 of them, and my soil---while fairly deep, is typically Kansas clayish. Your advise is appreciated.

Musser Forests inc. 800 643 8319 [email protected]

American Chestnut hybrid Castanea dentata or

Chinese chestnut Castanea mollissima

Latest posts

Back