More shots of the tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sylvanmedia

Reaction score
Here are some more shots of the tree.

We did buy the tree from a, so I thought, reputable nursery. We bought it three years ago, and at the time I could plant it with myself and my father-in-law, that is to say it was small enough for two people to unload it from the back of a pickup truck and put it in the ground, so it has grown like gangbusters. However, I'm not sure if that's a good sign, a bad sign, or doesn't mean anything.

Thanks again for your advice, this forum is a real resource.

-Dan from Grand Rapids, MI

More shots of tree (specifically the base of the trunk)

Originally posted by sylvanmedia
it has grown like gangbusters. However, I'm not sure if that's a good sign
It usually is a good sign.

The 3d and 6th pics show good flare, and also a small girdling root that could be cut. We were looking for no flare visible and bigger girdling roots below surface, a common plague in the industry.

The 7th shows horrible branch structure. It'll never be "perfect", but careful pruning can make it safe and healthy.

There is a root flare at ground level, that's a good thing.
And don't be to hard on the nursery, that tree is actually better than average of the trees they put out today. Most trees sold have bad structure AND are buried too deep, you just got the bad structure.:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back