Most under rated chainsaw????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stihls are tuff but the few that I ran so far just don't back them selves up with power. ran a 362 my 353 about kept up with it pulling 3/8 chain it was right behind it the 362 seems like all revs it just didnt feel like 60ccs it lacked something in the power band cant put my finger on it. probably just all backed up from epa and double filters i had a 038 mag i built from two saws didn't have it long was a solid saw that one i got ported actually by shear luck all rev who ever ported it went way to far tried to turn it into a rever but it was not a saw designed for revs it was a mid range saw. i had the other cylinder just needed some polishing never put it on. traded it and parts and my 445 for the 372xpg put 150 into the 372 to get it going. that's my saw ! what a screamer unless its berried in hardwood goes though pine like it wasn't there its fun when i get to cut pine oak all day but the sugar maple ive been chipping away has gone to rock maple ugh that stuff its tuff im starting not to like cutting maple at least not field/ road side stuff 372 pulls 24 inch bar i think a 22 inch would be perfect on it 20 is to short to me. 562 should runs stuff like that but its more than capable from what ive been seeing to run a 2 foot bar from my opinion one day wish to add a 555 or 62 to my group 555 turns slower thats all just as nice as the 562 in my opinion. haven't got to run any 500s. the stihl 290 is a nice saw just need those mufflers opened up and carb caps pulled. then they actually run right. the more fuel and air you can get into the saw the longer it will run. and the heat out. I could be somewhat wrong on this theory though depends i think. the 372 likes 40 ratio so my saws all adjusted to 40 most the time, new oils burn cleaner anyways it seems. i got to get my muffler opened up on my 372. top end was turning blue and piston pin is purple ringed not scored but i just got another 372 for a crank big end rod is tiired. saw had alot of hours before me and then i got ahold of it lol oh hears a video of me messing around with it with my pale jake

ya i know no safety gear that day i atleast wear a helmet when im dropping had chaps buckle got steped on, plastic. oh ya the 038 was a magnum

its funny you bring this saw up were were lucky
enough to get a hold one of these saws i got to do the point in it these are great saws what a tank these things are.
do these things have mufflers lol the one i got here is loud as heck almost make your ear drums bleed lol the handle bar on the one ive got here is a little bent but it just doesnt turn as fast as the newer saws so for the weight of it, it just gets run for show or wake the neighbors up. another saw siting on the shelf i got is an homelite xl12

(10-10) Heavy, yes. But still a very competent saw even today. I'd rather run my posted saw than a box store saw. It starts every time, does what I ask, and will last. Plus the audible feedback is awesome!

Maybe not amongst the AS folks, but everyone else under rates the 10-10. They don't sell for nearly what they are worth on CL and EB in my opinion. A good one with good compression and not all worn out (like many) is still a great saw.
DSC07539_zps3cbb9585.jpg
I ran my pro Mac 10-10 for the first time ever last week. Wasn't sure what to expect. It was stout. I like it.

(10-10) Heavy, yes. But still a very competent saw even today. I'd rather run my posted saw than a box store saw. It starts every time, does what I ask, and will last. Plus the audible feedback is awesome!

agreed, box store saws aren't the best the 400s husqvarnas don't seem to be to bad in general. carb was crabby in my 445 i had for a short time. but generally i wont have a home owner saw as part of my fleet unless its had some work done to it, did an adjustable oil pump swap on the 445 and that was a plus not enough oil for real work. Got to put one in the 345 I worked on, was running it the other day and it just was not getting enough oil for that 18 inch bar .325. it would probably pull a short 3/8 pitch bar. probably better with an 8 pin 325 and a 16 inch bar but i just got my 372 back up and running today. new handle bar is nice. and i got brave and put and 8 pin rim on it, pulls it with the 24 inch bar very nicely not a monster but i love it, pulls hardwood chips way faster now had it burried most the time today the little bit of intake work i did gave it the extra tickle, goes though pine to like nothing, il see about a video sometime, il put on my profile. the 10-10 is far better than a box saw i just favor my 353 and 372 and just not a pain to get parts i want to put some zip on my 353 its just like the 346 just mid range cylinder and 45mm bore the newer 350s had it i think. theres some advantages to working on these cylinders with the removable side covers but i dont touch tranfers, im not that good yet, i dont have and not fimiliar with degree wheels and stuff yet but lets just talk stock saws anyways. 55 is another nice saw when they are running good. For a small saw i was impressed by the stihl 170 180 nice little saws i don't like the quick tensioner there a pain when you need to do regular maintenance but that's a minor irritation. got to run a couple when fixing them stay away from the easy pull starts. if you cant start a saw that small you shouldn't be running one lol.

Maybe not amongst the AS folks, but everyone else under rates the 10-10. They don't sell for nearly what they are worth on CL and EB in my opinion. A good one with good compression and not all worn out (like many) is still a great saw.
DSC07539_zps3cbb9585.jpg

Hey is that the original pull handle?

Underrated!

I think most of us feel what we own/use are underrated saws...especially when the pros don't use em!...And, sooner or later...if they perform well for us, come to understand that we (firewood only types), don't really need the latest and greatest saws. If I cut wood for a living I might have different saws altogether...but I don't and what I have now seem to work fine. I maintain them and they reward me well. Now I'm all for having the best and paying for it but for the last 12 years my MS 310 (MM), has done everything I've asked of it. When/if it goes down I'll turn it into a 390. In the meantime this overweight, homeowner, plastic saw just keeps cutting everying I want just fine. Lots of good Huskys I'd like to try but only have experience w/my neighbors 51...and I'd love to have that if/when he replaces it...My dolmar 510 also does yoeman's work when I use it...a fine saw and Id like a 420 or 6401 to play with...but don't really need them just yet. There are so many good saws out there one can't always have the latest and greatest (depending on who you listen to). But I'm glad I have what I have because it always does what I need it to. Underrated doesn't mean much when what you have works everytime.
Excellent reply!

Hey is that the original pull handle?

I believe so. Nice to see some good responses to this saw. I know it no where compares to the modern saw. I just see them all day long for sale for $40/$50/$60, and they don't sell. There is no way I'd sell mine for twice that. I know some are hotter running than others, maybe I got one of those.

well i guess i should stop and play with the one we got here and see if its the points and get a video of it going it is a nice saw for sure. il need to open a pack of ear plugs for it though that's for sure, feels like my ears are gonna fall of running it and im not one of those people that are like plug your ears if you still want to hear when you turn 90 lol. i like my saws to talk but the 10-10 we got hear is brutal can only run it for a few minutes before you've had enough with out ear blockers. maybe il look at it tomorrow it was running not to long ago just started acting up same with the xl 12 resting on the shelf

I believe so. Nice to see some good responses to this saw. I know it no where compares to the modern saw. I just see them all day long for sale for $40/$50/$60, and they don't sell. There is no way I'd sell mine for twice that. I know some are hotter running than others, maybe I got one of those.

il have to get more info on the 10-10s this one here is a low rpm chugging beast don't know how much bar it will pull but you can really lean on the short bar it has on it, think its an original bar with all the paint on it maybe not original to it but i think it is

Stihl clamshell, Hmm? Noodles pretty good! Usually better than my buddies husky.

I just upgraded a 310 to a 390 with a big bore kit. Using a 20" bar it will noodle cut quite well. A 25" bar makes it strain a little. However, I rarely cut a round longer than 20", so I'm happy with it.

Then again, if I really need to noodle cut, I use my Makita 6401 with a BBK. Now that puppy is a horse and a half with power to spare!

There are a lot of saws out there that people (at least on AS) love to talk trash about. Some deserve it, some are great saws that got a bad rap for some reason. In your opinion what is the most under rated saw you have owned or run.

I have my opinions but will leave them out so as not to shade the discussion:)
Shindaiwa 360 and 488 always run

yes the makitas are nice saws to haven't ran any personally herd good about them they pretty much a dolmar though right. that's a good size tree red oak right ?

Back