Moving a weeping willow?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ourmoneypit

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Backstory: on the day my MIL died, spouse and I planted a weeping willow on a woodlot we own, in her honour. That was nearly 7 years ago.

We now own our future retirement property, complete with our own (small) private lake. The land on the far side of the lake is a bit soggy, and we figure the willow would be quite happy there. For the obvious sentimental reasons, we would love to have the willow in the new spot.

This is a rural area, and only one local outfit has the large tree-moving equipment. When we enquired, we were told they could move it, "but it will die within a year". This response was based on the age of the willow alone. They did agree to reconsider once we had measured the circumference of the trunk at the base.

Seems to me I have seen larger trees than our willow being moved with those huge spade-like machines. Is there a specific concern with willows? The circumference at the base is 39.5 cm/15.5 inches. Is this too big to be moved? If not, when is the best time to move it? The tree is located in Cda zone 3.

TIA

You can also prune off a few limbs to propagate. Simply insert them in the ground and watch them grow. Select limbs around 1/2" and up, cut them off, transport in water, and plant. A spade can most likely move the tree depending on the access to the sites. Expect to pay anywhere from 500.00 to 1500.00(or more)

Thanks...

Elmnut. Both sites are accessible for the big truck. We had already thought to propagate some limbs, just in case, if we did decide to go ahead, or as an alternative to moving the tree.

When would be the best time to move such a tree, spring or late fall?

Early spring before the leaves grow is probably the best time to transplant.

But realistically, take the cuttings and grow a new tree on the new site. Effectively you are taking a clone of the original willow - or a dozen for that matter. The original tree wont be harmed by you lopping off a few branches and you are saving yourself hundreds of $$ ;)

Cheers

Ian

Any other time I would say try to make the move .Willow propagates so easy you make 30 of them and give one to each family member on the day of the anniversary .

This is a 5" diameter Willow. Willows are about the easiest tree to transplant because of their dense, fiberous root system. Move it during a cool season, early spring or fall, and give it plenty of water.
It wouldn't hurt to take a few cuttings, just in case.

Were it just up to me...

...I would agree: propagate cuttings to our new place, and leave it at that.

DS, however, is a very sentimental type, and was very close to her mother. My late MIL was a one-in-a-million mom and MIL. Now that we are considering selling the woodlot (the new place is all we will ever need in terms of, well, everything) I know she wants that whole tree moved, if at all possible.

Thanks for all the input, folks. I'm about to recontact the tree movers, and will let you know what they say.

Willow update

Well, after contacting another arborist in the area and getting some more info, and a further site visit, DS has finally conceded that the willow is too big to be moved. No one in the area has the equipment.

So, next spring, we will be taking some branches to transplant on the new property.

Thanks once again for the help, folks.

This is a 5" diameter Willow. Willows are about the easiest tree to transplant because of their dense, fiberous root system. Move it during a cool season, early spring or fall, and give it plenty of water.
It wouldn't hurt to take a few cuttings, just in case.

Glad you pointed that out. I was thinking 15" because I must have flinched and missed diameter.

That's small tree in tree moving.

To avoid trashing one removal, when alone, I was able to move a 3" diameter birch that was 16' tall, all by myself, with a rootball small enough for my lonesome self to get up on my tailgate using a ramp to slide.

5" trunk tree might be a piece of cake to dig, ball, and just move with a small tractor bucket.

Well, after contacting another arborist in the area and getting some more info, and a further site visit, DS has finally conceded that the willow is too big to be moved. No one in the area has the equipment.

So, next spring, we will be taking some branches to transplant on the new property.

Thanks once again for the help, folks.

That's too bad.:( That should be a really easy move. 45" spade no problem. There are so many spade trucks rolling down here you would have multiple options. Do you have any pictures? It sounds like it could be hand dug also and B&B'd. I wouldn't give up yet. Maybe contact a local wholesale nursery and see if they could give you some tips on digging trees.

Drum Lace

Anybody around your area know how to drum lace? It would be an easy move that way as well. Just need some equipment large enough to move the ball once it is all laced up...

The willow saga update

We took 6 cuttings this year and planted them, as insurance. Thanks to all the feedback, we will probably try to move the tree/have the tree moved this fall. Luckily, we have lots of space and several spots suitable for willows :)

However, unless these trees take a long time to start 'weeping', it would appear it is not a weeping willow, but another sort. What info do I need to try to identify what type of willow it is? Those that are covered in the two books that we have do not appear to be a match.

Can you post a picture of the tree, willow is very easy to pick out and the weeping part comes from the rapid stem growth. Corkscrew willow has a little more upright and the limbs actually twist or corkscrew. And willow oak is not a willow at all but an oak with willow leaves.

there is about 20 differnt willows on the east coast. we will need pics.

Never mind the spade truck, you need an outfit that digs and hand ties the ball in burlap. That process is tedious but done by a pro, it comes out of the ground easy and the best is that the soil and roots are all together when transplanted. Once dug and wrapped, the tree can be lifted by a bobcat machine and transplanted anywhere. Look for a company that provides this service.

Back