Moving Japanese Maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loco

Reaction score
I have a 15 year old beautiful Japanese maple that is too close to the house. It was supposed to be a dwarf tree, but it's not! Can this type of tree be moved? Is it possible to sell such a tree? It is in great shape.

Photos are attached. One shows the tree from a distance, which blocks view of our front door from the street. The other shows the base of the tree.

Last edited:
loco said:
I have a 15 year old beautiful Japanese maple that is too close to the house. It was supposed to be a dwarf tree, but it's not! Can this type of tree be moved? Is it possible to sell such a tree? It is in great shape.

Japanese Maples should be easy to move, fibrous root systems. Measure the stem or trunk diameter about 6" above the soil line. If 4" or bigger measure at 12" above soil line. Figure a root ball diameter of 12" per inch of measure of trunk. If you trunk diameter is two inches your root ball would be 24" across. Take measurements and dig a narrow trench around each plant, 2/3 as deep as the diameter of your root ball. Sever the remaining roots, under the plant and place the root ball on a burlap or sheet to enable you to handle it. Try to keep as much soil intact as possible. Drag it or preferably lift it onto a wheeled contraption and transport it to it's new site. If you can't plant it immediately you should wrap the ball with the fabric, put the plant in a sheltered area and spray water on it frequently. You should prepare a new planting hole after you have taken measurements and before you have dug the plants. Transplant at the same depth or slightly higher, water very well and mulch. Keep an eye on them and water regularly until established. Possibly two years. Get as much root and soil intact and transplant in a timely fashion.
The above info was copied from another post and modified slightly. You may need some equipment to move a tree that size although the pyramids were constructed with out such. If dug by hand I would probably do it when dormant, the tree not you. It can be successfully moved with a tree spade in mid-summer if done carefully, transplanted in a timely fashion and given proper after care. In the case of using a mechanical tree spade, it should not be done when actively growing. Mid-summer, in fall after abscission or in late winter/early spring before bud swell are good times.

Is it possible to sell such a tree? ? ? Nah...just contact me when you have it out and heeled in. I'll make arrangements to deliver it to it's new home! ;)

loco said:
I have a 15 year old beautiful Japanese maple that is too close to the house.
Are you sure? Post a picture and you may get some options to moving the tree.

Latest posts

Back