MS 170 or MS 180

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAWFISH

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have $200.00 to spend on a small saw for cutting small firewood and de-limbing branches. I am looking at the 170($169.00) or 180($199.00) what are your opinions on these two saws? I have a MS 460 for the big stuff but It gets pretty heavy when I am just de-limbing. I have never seen that quick adjust for the chain before - how well does that work? Any input on this is appreciated.

Brian

I've never owned a saw with the quick adjust thing, but I have played with it at my dealer. My advice would be to skip it. It felt sound, but it's one more thing to break, takes more effort and hassle to flip your bar as you should be, and it comes down to how hard is it really to loosen a bar nut and adjust the chain? It's not. I say skip it. I say 170. It weighs alot less, and when you're talking about a saw that small, what's the .25 hp loss from the 180 going to matter. The 180 weighs more-I'd supposed because of the Quick Adjust deal.

JMO.

Welcome to AS if I haven't already welcomed you.

Jeff

fishhuntcutwood said:
The 180 weighs more-I'd supposed because of the Quick Adjust deal.

Jeff
Not so sure... The bar nut verses the gear disk is probably a wash, or a fraction of an ounce diff.

I also viewed the QA with suspicion, but I've never seen on have a problem on the 180. Much more convenient than the front adjust on the 170. You can upgrade the 170 to side adjust (I think it's parts from the 20T - not sure), but..

oooo-yeah - CHAPS!!! I forgot PPE! Thanks, we're back on track now.

Oh yeah, welcome to AS, sawfish!

Either would be fine, they're really pretty close from what I've heard. I've run a 180 and was impressed. I can't imagine that the 170 will be that far behind. But for the price difference, you might as well grab the extra % HP. See if your dealer will toss in an extra loop of chain on a 180 and you'll be good to go.

Not much difference between the two. I do like the quick chain adjust for the fact that you are not doing your adjustment at the front of the saw like the 170.
Welcome and good luck with your decision.

I highly recommend the 180. I had the QA on mine, but it didn't impress me that much. Seems like the little "wheel" that you spin to tighten/loosen the chain was too small. I'd hate to have to adjust the thing in freezing temps and cold fingers! As a previous poster mentioned - flipping the bar is more complicated as well.

Back