Stihl ms 170 vs ms 250

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a ms250 and just finished rebuilding an 025, it's predecessor. Both are 2 pull start saws, both perform very well. As far as spares go, you can build an entire saw from scratch without using factory parts. I prefer the old style air filter of the 025, but the fuel/oil caps of the ms250.
Probably one of the last saws in my collection I would sell, pretty nice to use for medium size firewood tasks. You can find a good used sample around here (MB) for around $300.
Ag

I have a ms250 and just finished rebuilding an 025, it's predecessor. Both are 2 pull start saws, both perform very well. As far as spares go, you can build an entire saw from scratch without using factory parts. I prefer the old style air filter of the 025, but the fuel/oil caps of the ms250.
Probably one of the last saws in my collection I would sell, pretty nice to use for medium size firewood tasks. You can find a good used sample around here (MB) for around $300.
I thought I was the only guy who preferred the flippy caps!

My 2 cents - I would recommend the 250 over 170. 170 is a tad small for felling trees IMO. It can work but with a 16" bar which is not really 16") minus dogs, you may be disappointed in the actual reach. Plus bucking has you about on your knees.

I have used a MS250 (18" .050 .325 semi chisel) for about 15 years. Great saw, not hard to start for me. Choke full on. Pull lightly to build compression, maintain force on pull cord while drop starting the saw max 3X. Even if it doesn't bark move choke lever to fast idle start position. Pull 1-3X and it runs. Move to normal run mode, idle a minute before cutting. If you pull too many times looking for that bark it may flood and get locked up.

My sister has a 251CM which has a reverse recoil start. The saw looks better than mine but it feels really "squishy". The start system is strange but I didn't hate it. I would pick 250 over 251 as well.

3 Things to enhance the cutting experience:
Keep the chain sharp and file depth gauges properly!
Gut the muffler (or gut an AM muffler if you are worried about warranty)
The factory sets most new saws too lean. Remove limiter caps on carb screws to add fuel (or put on an AM carb if you are worried about warranty)

I've cut a lot of firewood with an MS250. pretty good cutting saw. i did have to replace the carb last year, but it's been a decent saw. i did have to learn to start the thing though and i own several stihl equipment. with all that said i'd get a 261 and call it a day.

Always been happy with the 025 also. Put many hours on a few of them and recollect 0 problems. Love the power to weight . I have used ms250's some , but i never wore out my 025's to need to replace them. Had 1 stolen and found a another here I use frequently still. MS 250s seem a little inconsistent from 1 to the next. I have 1 now I took on trade it feels down on compression, but it starts good, pulls easy and feels almost as strong as my snappy strong muffler modded 025. Had and run the cs400's ECHO which i have nothing bad to say about. They vibrate less but the 250 or 025's vibration isn't bad or it would bother this old man and it doesn't. I find geometry of the older stihls more comfortable then Echo or Husqvarna. I believe i can get more work done in a day with my 025 then the echo cs 400 and not hurt any worse.
You should be happy with either provided u don't get a lemon. Have someone that runs saws a lot show u starting procedures and whatever u buy make sure it is comfortable to start. Good used may be a better investment and give u a 2 saw option which has some big advantages.

Being as I flip some saws for sale, I frequently ask tree services what they would be interested in buying. 90 + percent only mention Stihl models and frequently the ms 250. Rarely do I see them with an Echo, other then top handles. It hasn't been uncommon seeing them using ms 170's frequently also. Don't recollect seeing any using Echo homeowners saws and any other, not to say there are not some that do. Stihl homeowners saws have nothing to be ashamed of. Lot of novices buy them for their 1st saw and don't know how to correctly care for and use them when they have trouble blame the saw instead of themselves. I used an Homelite 360 in my early days and burned up multiple bars and chains blaming it on the saw. Didn't realize it was my fault, I didn't know enough to keep the chain sharp until later in life .

Got a plastic caged clutch bearing for an echo and other parts in cushioned bag from ereplacements. Bearing was in pieces and they were in and out of my account about four times before they were done with me.

Thanks again for the updated replies- I’m leaning towards the 170. That said i want to throw one last saw out there. Anyone have experience with the echo cs-400? If so, any drawbacks? Is it as hard to start as the ms 250?
averagejhoe084: I own the MS170, and the MS 251 C-BE. I've never had starting issues with either (I feel embarrassed saying that in the same sentence as MS 251C-BE). I purchased the 170 new, and the 251 used though I had no idea what I was getting into with the Easy2Start technology. Regardless of the nay-sayers out there, I love my 251. I bought it for the Quick Chain Adjustment, and I have no regrets. I want to stipulate that I don't drop trees for a living, and the heaviest work that I'm engaged in is cutting/splitting/stacking firewood. Occasionally I help my son clear trees on his property, and I have used both saws for this purpose without fail. Until I joined the Arboristsite, I had fancied myself as a chainsaw collector, but I realize now that I'm just a novice with a predilection towards machinery that smokes from yesteryear. The other saws that I'm proud to say I own are a Stilh 020AV, Stihl 028WB, Stihl 009, and a Jonsered 455, and what's next is whatever tickles my fancy on a moment's notice, whenever I have the cash. I try to explain to my wife that a man cannot possibly own too many chainsaws. Can they? Again, I don't fall trees for a living, but rather I repair and maintain the equipment for those professionals who do. Any piece of equipment that you have maintained won't let you down unless you are working it beyond its limits. Get yourself an MS170, and if you feel you need more saw, you can always sell it, and trade up. A quality piece of equipment is to be considered an investment in my opinion. Have safe fun!

Well Joe I am sure things are 100% clear at this point. :)

I'll try to confuse you more. I own a 170, and 261, and my 70 year old father owns a 250. I share that to say I have used both the 170 and 250 extensively.

We have never had any trouble starting the 170 or 250. The start procedure is the same for both. The 250 just weighs more.

With the size logs you plan to cut you may opt for a 16 bar on the 250 or a 14 in bar on the 170.

When I consider the 170 I think it is great at many tasks. It can be used to fell trees. It can be used to buck them up. It may just take a bit longer than the 250. I think the key either way is to be safe and maintain a sharp chain.

I can only assume you were born in '84 based on your username. Me too. Best year by the way. I would personally go with the 250 as I find it's a great mix of power, and it really is a light saw at just over 10.1 lbs (4.6kg).

I also hear great things about Echo...I just grew up with Stihl (009L) so I just like them for nostalgia purposes.

Would you guys say If i can I pull start my 70cc backpack leaf blower without a problem, then the ms 250 shouldn’t be a problem?

Would you guys say If i can I pull start my 70cc backpack leaf blower without a problem, then the ms 250 shouldn’t be a problem?
Not necessarily. The problem with old farts starting MS250's is the diameter of the starter pulley. It's just like gears on a bicycle.

Go to the dealer and try one on the shelf with the ignition switch off. The design issue is that the same recoil was used for the 210, 230, and 250... 35, 40, and 45cc respectively so it gets a little hard pulling on the 250. I am now 67 and don't have a problem starting one.

Go to the dealer and try one on the shelf with the ignition switch off. The design issue is that the same recoil was used for the 210, 230, and 250... 35, 40, and 45cc respectively so it gets a little hard pulling on the 250. I am now 67 and don't have a problem starting one.

I had three saws Thursday that the owner said would not start. I dumped the fuel, put fresh in, choked, pulled maybe 8 or 10 times and they started right up and ran normally.

Our question is, what are you supposed to charge for that ? Nothing? $10 $15 ?

How do you balance that with a MS201TC dropped out of a tree that you screw with for two hours, but you can't really charge that.

Not necessarily. The problem with old farts starting MS250's is the diameter of the starter pulley. It's just like gears on a bicycle.
As one of those old farts I struggle to pull my MS250. I see all the folks having no problem and wonder if there's an actual issue with mine or if it's just me. No problem with my other saws, trimmers or blowers.

Latest posts

Back