ms 180 has a air leak.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgrizz

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I was using my ms 180 yesterday ( saw is 5 years old) and the rpms were racing on either its left or right side and up side down. Now I am pretty sure the seals are going and this is the problem but the saw was only $200.00 when I bought it. I figured to just get another small limbing saw . May get a rear handle 201 and have brad hook it up or is there a saw that is close to the weight of the 180 that anyone has used and liked ?

Why not just fix the one you have? They are very easy to work on and the parts are cheap. Muffler modded and carb swap and you have a little saw that rips!

I thought about fixing it but I havnt called to see how much the parts would be. What else could the leak come from? Fuel line ? Intake boot maybe?

I thought about fixing it but I havnt called to see how much the parts would be. What else could the leak come from? Fuel line ? Intake boot maybe?
Look on eBay for parts. Cheap enough to just replace and not do too much trouble shooting. Probably more cheap parts on eBay for 180 then any other saw. That's why I bought one. Wanted a different brand but I always look for cheap available spare parts first. You can buy a complete rebuild kit with gaskets bearing and even new cylinder and piston for 40 bucks. All new gaskets for under 10 bucks. Plenty of YouTube videos on how to tear it down.

yes and yes. and it could be a carb issue as well. find the issue(s) first..then fix them. smell like seals but could be others as well.
as krushing said..its cheap enough to replace everything and be done with it. if you dont have a manual just post up "the beg for manuals" thread.

That's the resone="krushing73, post: 4692890, member: 119993"]Look on eBay for parts. Cheap enough to just replace and not do too much trouble shooting. Probably more cheap parts on eBay for 180 then any other saw. That's why I bought one. Wanted a different brand but I always look for cheap available spare parts first. You can buy a complete rebuild kit with gaskets bearing and even new cylinder and piston for 40 bucks. All new gaskets for under 10 bucks. Plenty of YouTube videos on how to tear it down.[/quote]
Thats th he reason I got a ms 180 for a little saw its a motivator.

I agree with the other sentiments expressed here. If you like it, fix it. Shouldn't be hard.

BUT, if you are concerned about spending more than you should to 'fix' a 'cheap' saw, I understand that, too.

A good quality saw that is about the same weight as your 180 is the RedMax G3800AvS. They are discontinued, but still available, if you look, for alittle over $200.

If you decide to replace instead of repair, someone would like to have that 180 for a project or parts. In fact, it would most likely fetch more $ than one would expect, properly parted out.

Latest posts

Back