Ms 250 18" .325 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steelz

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have an 18" bar on my MS 250 the chain is .325. Can I use a 3/8 on this? Or just stay with the .325? Input before I buy the 3/8 chain.

The saw is working fine with the 18" bar. It took awhile but it did take down a 24"+ White Oak. But the trunk of one of the 6 trees we had cut down this morning is at least 32"+. They used a Husky 24" too take that tree down. I didn't ask which model Husky.

With a muffler mod the MS250 I have pulls an 18" 325 as well as a friend's 346 does. I wouldn't bother with 3/8, tho. Leave it like it is. Uh, except for the MM. With an MM, the exhaust is a straight shot out the front if you do it at the exhaust port. I opened the exhaust port on the muffler to well over 1/2" and removed the middle louver on the muffler plate that goes over it and on top of the screen. It only gets slightly less mileage, but it has much more torque and top end.

I have an 18" bar on my MS 250 the chain is .325. Can I use a 3/8 on this? Or just stay with the .325? Input before I buy the 3/8 chain.

Stay with the .325, best chain for this saw...3/8's will bog it down way to much, will not help the performance of the 250 at all.

I just muffler modded my ms250,tuned it a little while ago,it sports a 16"b/c,test wood was 12" oak and im for sure puttin on a 18" b/c..325.just my 2 cents..

3/8 is to much for that saw in fact an 18in bar is pushing it. also consider that you will have to change your drive sprocket and bar for 3/8. I have found that the ms 250 runs fast with a 16 in bar and .325 chain, muffler mod it and you will see a a positive change in the way your saw performs.

hey, just picked up a ms 250 brand new today. they only come in 18 inch now and the dealer didnt have a 16 which i wanted,but he did cut $40 off the saw and i will muffler mod it and get a 16 inch bar later.

Last edited:
I would suggest you stay with the .325 chain as well. In fact I can"t think of any practical reason for changing said saw to 3/8 chain.

I have on laying around, And it sports an 18" bar and chain on it, I did a simple muff mod by opening the muff ports a little bit, And it runs great, I've had it Burried in 20" thick madrona. Did okay for a 40cc saw. Have fun with it.

Thanks guys. i didn't think the 3/8 would work. Better too ask and not guess. It's not the MS 261. By a longgg shot.

I've been running my 18" bar (.325) for some time. As many of you know it's only 16" of actual cutting length, haven't figured that one out yet......

My saw is running 12,600 rpm's, and runs it just fine, IMHO..

Just my 2 cents..
Chris

Latest posts

Back