MS 250 Mods ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelsey

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
First off, hi everyone.
I work as a line clearance foreman in Salt Lake City. I plan on buying a brand new Stihl MS 250 as a personal climbing saw. What I want to do is get extra power out of it. What can be done to mod these saws? Any ideas? Thanks

Can't you do the same kind of things that you do to the 066 like port and polish, get more air/fuel to the cylinder, ect? I'm not to worried about experimenting and possibly damaging the saw. I just want to make a hobby out of it. Make it one mean mother. File the rakers of all the way:angry: j/k

there are a couple of things to do to that saw but it doesn't have the potential of a 346xp or ms260 for porting. Or a 660 for that matter

I when I needed a saw again I bought a 025 it is about 5 years old now and still has the paint on the original bar! It has been a terrific saw, it has impressive power for 45cc and it is as reliable as the sun. People will tell you the antivibe system is crap but the bottom line is it is quite smooth in my hands. Now I am moving on and will probably sell off my 025 in the near future because I have more saws than appendages and hopping up saws has turned into quite a hobby for me.

Buck

so what kind of things can you do for a MS 250. I'm very loyal to Stihl and a 25 is as heavy as I want to go for a climb saw.

kelsey said:
so what kind of things can you do for a MS 250. I'm very loyal to Stihl and a 25 is as heavy as I want to go for a climb saw.
Nothing wrong with wanting to stay with Stihl. However you might want to consider a MS260 or MS260 Pro. They're only about a half a pound heavier then the MS250. They make a little more power to begin with. Plus they're pro saws. The MS260's will probably last quite a bit longer then the MS250, especially with heavy use.

NYH1 said:
Nothing wrong with wanting to stay with Stihl. However you might want to consider a MS260 or MS260 Pro. They're only about a half a pound heavier then the MS250. They make a little more power to begin with. Plus they're pro saws. The MS260's will probably last quite a bit longer then the MS250, especially with heavy use.

346xp is a choice too, only 200grams heavier than ms250...

blis said:
346xp is a choice too, only 200grams heavier than ms250...
Personally I'd take a 346XP over a MS260. kelsey said he was loyal to Stihl so that's why I mentioned the MS260's.

OK, here's how I'd do it. Take the cover off of the 250 and set it aside. Take a file and file about a pound of metal from the fins and cylinder of a Dolmar 5100, and then slap the cover from the 250 on it.

kelsey said:
Can't you do the same kind of things that you do to the 066 like port and polish, get more air/fuel to the cylinder, ect? I'm not to worried about experimenting and possibly damaging the saw. I just want to make a hobby out of it. Make it one mean mother. File the rakers of all the way:angry: j/k

Not really... You can't adjust the squish on that type of saw... so the rest doesn't matter all that much. If you want to mod, buy a 260, or second hand 026. It can be made to sparkle... and is easy to work on.

Well, the 026 is a good ground saw but it's just too heavy. also, will they run a bar smaller than 18"? That's what I like about the 025 so much, 16 to climb with and 18 for the ground. It just seems a little underpowered for the 18 inch bar. is there anything smaller that the 025 that is easy to tweak more power out of?

kelsey, the 026/MS260 weighs half a pound more then the MS250. You probably won't even notice the difference. And yes a 026/MS260 with a 16 inch bar and chain would be a great set up!

You can put a 16" bar on an 026, and it will rock with that and a minor muffler mod. The 026 kicks the 025 butt any day of week... Much more torque and so much better at the high end. Personally I'd have a 200T for limbing and and 361/440/441 for blocking.

I guess I'll have to take a closer look at the 026. We used to have them at work but they were phased out with the 025. The 200t's are nice, but I'm so used to the rear handle setup. So, what all can be done to an 026?

You can do just about anything you want to an 026... It's a pro saw with an easily removable cylinder.

If you want a rear handled MS200T, then it's called an MS200...

kelsey said:
I guess I'll have to take a closer look at the 026. We used to have them at work but they were phased out with the 025. The 200t's are nice, but I'm so used to the rear handle setup. So, what all can be done to an 026?

DO IT! Get an 026, you won't regret it. I bought my used 026 from a guy off this site, and it has been a cream puff. I requested one that was well used, but ran good. My muffler has a rather large hole in it, no spark screen, and fully adjustable carb...All my friends that use it briefly, ask why it cuts so much better than theirs! Do a search for muffler mods, start there, if you want more, go w/ porting and pipes. But the muffler is as far as I dare go.

Back