MS 250 Stihl 18" Thoughts about this saw? Good or bad.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith42

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just bought one, is this model a pretty good saw? Seems to have plenty of power for what it is. Thanks.

It's a good little saw for homeowner firewood. If its used hard, it won't last as long as an MS 260, and isn't quite as easy to work on, but it's a good tough little saw for its intended use.

Keith42 said:
Just bought one, is this model a pretty good saw? Seems to have plenty of power for what it is. Thanks.

Tant a bad saw, I sell alot of them. Its comes from a family of Sthils, the 210,230 and 250. Of the 3 the 250 is the best buy in terms of what ya get for ya dollar power wise. It is a homeowner saw and the pro guys wouldn't like it because it is harder to work on than a pro model but in the same token the pro model in the 250 size class is the MS260 and its about 140-150.00 dollars more. What kinda sawing ya planning on doing with ya new 250???

TimberPig said:
It's a good little saw for homeowner firewood. If its used hard, it won't last as long as an MS 260, and isn't quite as easy to work on, but it's a good tough little saw for its intended use.

Yep, great small saw. Boat loads of happy users out there.

I bought an 025 brand new about 10 years ago. I used it to cut about 3 cords of wood a year, plus numerous tree removals. This saw has not given me one bit of trouble. The 025 and MAC 3516 were my only saws until last year. Now I have bigger wood and bigger toys to play with.

The 025/MS 250 is by far, in my opinion, the best "homeowner" saw on the market.

David

I have an 025 as well and I have been well pleased. Made a trip a few months back to help out with hurricane damage and was happy with the power to weight ( about the same as a MS260) . Mine has an 18inch bar & although I hear it runs a smaller bar better the trees I was cutting needed at least that much bar. When I needed more I used a MS029 or a 361 both had more power but after useing it all day long the light weight made it the saw I enjoyed the most. The pro guys are in a lot better shape than I am and can carry and use the bigger saws longer. Good saw for its intended use.

I have one too, and for a homeowner saw I think it does a great job pulling its weight. I have a 16" bar on mine, oh also I have the wrenchless chain adjusting feature which I like A LOT! In addition to cutting small firewood (logs get the 039 or 066 treatment) I clear a bunch of brush with it. It is light enough to not kill my back while climbing up hills, and when the chain jumps it is really nice to be abole to put it back on without even setting the saw down, and takes about a minute. If someone had a couple acres I'd suggest it for an only saw.

Lakeside53 said:
..... Boat loads of happy users out there.
... sure there is, but the comparable Husky 350 and 345 are nicer saws - more ergonomic, and smoother and faster in the cut.
I have used and done some maintenance on a couple of 250Cs owned by friends of mine, and the left me totally unimpressed...

An 18" bar is a bit much on all these models for optimum performance, but that is really up to the user and his expectations.

I am not saying that the 250 is a bad saw, just that there are better options out there....:angel:

At least be sure to avoid the QCA, if you buy one.

Last edited:
SawTroll said:
... sure there is, but the comparable Husky 350 and 345 are nicer saws - more ergonomic, and smoother and faster in the cut.
I have used and done some maintenance on a couple of 250Cs owned by friends of mine, and the left me totally unimpressed...

An 18" bar is a bit much on all these models for optimum performance, but that is really up to the user and his expectations.

I am not saying that the 250 is a bad saw, just that there are better options out there....:angel:

I have to throw in my 2 cents on this, I dont know if husky has different build standards for their different classes of saws, but i believe the 350 and maybe the 345 are both sold at Lowes and other box stores. After going threw 2 saws and running them out of stock, for different manufacture problems, then almost being refused to get my money back, I refuse to buy another husky anything.

I hope for the people that like husky they have alot better luck than I did because I wouldnt wish the headache I went through on anyone. Maybe my 250 is a little slower than the huskys, I will never know because they where broke before I had a chance to do much cutting at all. All I know is I didnt have any problems with my 250 before my first tank of fuel has been ran through it like the other orange (no white) saws i've owned. In the long run I am glad I had the problems because I am for sure happy with my Stihl.

Wood Butcher said:

What is QCA?
What is QCA? That would be quick chain adjust. No tools needed for adjlusting the chain. Have two with this option, 180C and 210C. I don't use them because they are so pretty and besides I have plain jane Echos for that type of work that are much lighter. The thing is that I think Sears Craftsman used it first on their electric homeowner saws.:cheers:

Thanks.

Thought that was probably what it was but wasn't sure. I have a 250 with that feature and it seems to be holding up pretty good, and as I posted before it is quite handy if your chain jumps while you are clearing brush you can put it back on while standing up, in about a minute. I was worried that it might be too flimsy at first but has held up well.

Thats all right that is a good little saw.....i will throw in some stuff to what saw troll said....i have a husky 345 and a ms290 and fellas the little 345 is a bit stronger than the ms290. I know the 290 56cc saw should smoke a 45cc saw but honest it will not do it. To the original poster you got a good little saw stihl is great.:cheers:

Wood Butcher said:
Thanks.

Thought that was probably what it was but wasn't sure. I have a 250 with that feature and it seems to be holding up pretty good, and as I posted before it is quite handy if your chain jumps while you are clearing brush you can put it back on while standing up, in about a minute. I was worried that it might be too flimsy at first but has held up well.
I have not said that the QCA will not hold up, because I have no proof of that.
:deadhorse:
My "problem" with it is that it makes proper maintenance of the bar and sprocket/cluch area more time consuming, and it tends to discurage people from flipping the bar as often as they should. Into the bargain it also offer some (not much, though) extra weight and complexity to the saw.

If your chain consistantly jumping off, you are doing something wrong - either the chain tension is too loose, or you are doing what probably most of us are doing when brushing with a chainsaw - namely just sweeping away, instead of cutting one twig at a time. :laugh:

Get a brushcutter/clearing saw if you cut a lot of brush! :deadhorse:

Last edited:
93_ChargedCobra said:
... but i believe the 350 and maybe the 345 are both sold at Lowes and other box stores. ..
That is just about E-lux sales policy on the market in question, and not about the quality of the saws.
Over here all Huskys are sold trough full service dealers only, while the Stihls are sold even at box stores with no inhouse service.

It is up to you where you buy your saws.....:greenchainsaw:

I chose to buy my Stihl at a full service dealer, and I am sure you had been happy with your Husky if you had made the same choise.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back