Ms 251 fuel pressure?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isawben

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I recently acquired a Stihl ms 251, which had overheated. When I took off the fuel line, fuel spurted everywhere. There was an obvious build up of pressure, but what caused it? Could this have something to do with the overheating of the engine?

I recently acquired a Stihl ms 251, which had overheated. When I took off the fuel line, fuel spurted everywhere. There was an obvious build up of pressure, but what caused it? Could this have something to do with the overheating of the engine?
Excessive heat very well could’ve gotten the fuel got enough and caused excessive pressure in the tank, although many saws I have worked on will normally spurt fuel everywhere when the line is pulled off the carb, I think this is mainly due to the fuel in the line being under pressure from being drawn up into the carb, and the pressure isn’t released unless you A open the fuel cap or B disconnect the fuel line, so I would say some pressure like that is normal, you can always check the tank vent and make sure it’s free of debris and functioning as it should, correct me if I’m wrong but I think those saws have their own vent line coming out of the tank to the left of the intake manifold, that’s how a ms250 was that I worked on once

Most tank vents nowadays allow to pull air in as the fuel is pumped out of the tank to the carb. This prevents a vacuum in the tank and fuel line stopping fuel flow. However, they do not allow pressure/fumes to escape out to atmosphere. Thank the EPA and tree huggers for that.

Ok, thank you. Also, do you know of any good aftermarket suppliers I could get a new piston from?

Back