MS 260 vs MS 270

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJ-Bill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the difference is..

270 is $429 and the 260 is $549

??

For one, the 260 is a pro grade saw which will translated into longer life and better servicability/fixability.

Physically, the 260 has a vertically-split crankcase and a bolt-on cylinder. The 270 has a horizontally-split crankcase with integral cylinder. The 270 weighs more and vibrates less with its spring-mounted anti-vibe system. The 260 is arguably easier to work on, if you anticipate wearing your saw out and needing to pop a new piston and cylinder on anytime soon. If your goal is to cut firewood, I don't see the two as being markedly different in real-world use.

Cutting-wise I don't notice any appreciable difference between my MS270 and 026 (which is, save a few odds and ends, the same as a 260). The 270 is heavier by a couple lbs. real world though. Both were wearing the same 16" stihl bars and chains. Power-wise the old 026 was rated at 3.5hp, the 260 at 3.2hp, and the 270 at 3.4 hp.

The 260 would be my preferred saw over the 270 due to its better construction and presumably longer service life, but the price is what got me. The 270 was $349.00 last Fall in these parts, where the 260 was $509. An MS361 was $589. I figured if I was going to spend 509, I may just as well pony up the extra 80 bucks and bump to the 361. I guess it would depend on how much wood you planned to be cutting with it to where the extra cash would be worth it to you.

My gold farm, however, hasn't started producing yet, so I just spent the 349 on the 270 and have not been at all disappointed so far. I've cut a lot of wood with it so far, just got an order for 16 facecords that the saw has cut (plus a bunch more and about 1/4 mile of THICK trails) from a gentleman today. The thing has literally paid for itself twice over in 7 months - how often can you say that about something?

Latest posts

Back