ms 290 no spark

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clutch

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey all brand new to this site ,which is a great one ! I have a Farm Boss Sthil that has no saprk from what I've gathered from other threads is that it may be a corrosion issue on the ground or other connections. Well I m off to dissasemble the saw (first time doing that ! hehe) any other suggestions would realy be appreciated !

Check that stupid thingy inside the rubber spark plug lead ... that stuffs up then there's no conduct to the plug.

spark plug lead

yes actually that was one of the first things I checked. I had a redmax backpack blower that used to do that. Thanks for the advice though !

Try disconnecting the switch lead and check if you got sparks.Check also for frayed wires,spark plug itself,ground wire on the coil ,if no sparks ,well looks like the coil is done.

ok thanks..just checked ground, got new plug..nothing... called dealer in northern NJ where I bought it thier attitude is basicly show me your recipt I dont keep purchase records....no recipt = 100 coil plus labor... too much $$$

The local dealer isn't computerized I guess when I called him he said that I needed my purchase recipt ...the saw is aprox. 3.5 years old..sigh..
where in western NY ? I work for a trucking and rigging co. we go all over...

clutch said:
The local dealer isn't computerized I guess when I called him he said that I needed my purchase recipt ...the saw is aprox. 3.5 years old..sigh..
where in western NY ? I work for a trucking and rigging co. we go all over...
Is there any output from your coil? Your dealer should have a Kv meter. 14000-16000V when pulled over is good. If you have isolated the primary winding from everything and the high tension lead is good and you still have no spark, I think I can help you. PM me after you have confirmed the module is faulty. Cheers.

ok I just yanked her apart again when I disconnected the black lead from the coil and put the pull cover back on the end of the wire must have been in contact with the male end comming out of the coil... taped the end slaped her together, gave her a yank and walla spark ! Hot ???? ! Now why does it make spark with that disconnected ? on/off switch bad ?

probably, the wire is contacting metal somewhere, grounding out the coil, keeping the coil from firing.

can't find where it would be touching metal..looked allt hrought the sucker where that lead of the switch runs seems intact...also its a plastic case...hmmm wheres that 4lb mud hammer...

Latest posts

Back